Ballistic Missile Alert for Hawaii Sent in Error

Started by mirth, January 13, 2018, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 16, 2018, 10:23:56 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 16, 2018, 10:21:01 AM
That's where they have Major accommodations. And Private rooms.  :2funny:

That is Generally true.

There's Corporal punishment if you aren't inside when curfew hits.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

ComradeP

Commission for every booking.

-

I'm not really sure why it took so long for the authorities to rectify their error. You'd think the governor could've been bothered to respond promptly.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Dr. Quest I said the same exact thing to my in laws. I think they would be better off than most if/when the apocalypse comes at one of these hotels.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 16, 2018, 10:14:15 AM

Military hotel?  ???

I've spent more than a few nights of my life at military hotels.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RedArgo

This is one bad UI if it is really what they use to issue warnings, especially if there is no confirmation prompt.  I can see how this could happen.

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/01/hawaii-missile-warning-set-off-by-bad-design.html

I remember having a Lance Haffner baseball league back in the '80s and it gave you two chances to not delete the league stats when you pushed the button.  Of course one of the guys still did it and we had to recalculate everything by hand.

mirth

You have to think that's something they built in-house or farmed out to some guy related to one of the bosses. "Hey my nephew Timmy is pretty good with computers and stuff. Let's give him the $100,000 contract to build this."

Either way, there was clearly no oversight or QA/UA testing.

Pete Dero

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/index.html

Want to launch a nuclear missile? You'll need a floppy disk.

That's according to a new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which found that the Pentagon was still using 1970s-era computing systems that require "eight-inch floppy disks."

The GAO report says that U.S. government departments spend upwards of $60 billion a year on operating and maintaining out-of-date technologies.
That's three times the investment on modern IT systems.

mirth

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 17, 2018, 09:22:26 AM
https://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/index.html

Want to launch a nuclear missile? You'll need a floppy disk.

That's according to a new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which found that the Pentagon was still using 1970s-era computing systems that require "eight-inch floppy disks."

The GAO report says that U.S. government departments spend upwards of $60 billion a year on operating and maintaining out-of-date technologies.
That's three times the investment on modern IT systems.

I've been reading about this stuff for a few years. Wasn't too long back that the US Navy contracted with Microsoft to continue with support for XP because the Navy new it would take years to upgrade all their systems.

These legacy systems are a real problem for the military and many industry sectors like banking. Old-timers who know COBOL and FORTRAN are being paid big bucks to support systems that are 40-50 years old. They are the only ones who can do it. No else knows the ins-and-outs of code that old.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Maybe Kim Jon-Un's 'button' is smaller because he already made the switch to 3.5 inch floppy disks ?

mirth

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 17, 2018, 09:37:06 AM
Maybe Kim Jon-Un's 'button' is smaller because he already made the switch to 3.5 inch floppy disks ?

Cue Donald Trump Tweet, "My disks are very hard.! Not floppy at all like Little Kim's!".