Dogs

Started by airboy, January 01, 2018, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^That's my dog too, just going in the car for 5 minutes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I've got a big dog.  He used to hate riding in the car.  In the last 18 months or so, he's changed his mind.  He's still not crazy about it, but, he'll voluntarily get in now and stay quiet.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jamus34

MD - our first dog would get car sick. When we would take him to the vet my wife would drive and i would be in the back seat with him holding a plastic bag. I was waiting for someone at a light to look over so I could be like "guy just can't hold his liquor"
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

Lol!  Love to see stuff like that when I'm driving.  People that get, "it," not dogs throwing up ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Dammit Carl!

Re: carsick dogs

Years ago, took the family down to Charleston for the weekend to celebrate a relative's birthday.  Took the pup as well, but knowing she gets carsick, we went to the vet beforehand to get doggie drammamine (sp?) that had to be used on an empty stomach.  Trip down, no problem.  On the way back home, we went to the party and expressly told everyone to NOT feed the dog but something got ingested at some point.  Fast forward an hour into a four hour drive and dog starts to lose everything from both ends...onto the horrified children in the back who were strapped into their car seats and couldn't scramble away from the ensuing mess.

Yeah.  That trip sucked.  Horribly.

Suffice to say, I've never taken a dog anywhere else not ten to twenty minutes from my house since then.

BanzaiCat

This old guy is Roscoe. He's a Beagle/Basset mix. I get worried about him more with each passing week as he's got to be pushing 12 and that tends to be the high end of lifespan for a Basset. I've had him since 2009 or so and he was about 2-3 years old then, so... :( This morning he wouldn't come out of his kennel to go outside to take care of business. He does that occasionally but he seemed awfully lethargic this morning. I'm hoping he's just feeling like an old boy this morning and it's nothing else.

He loves to howl and can be a barker if he sees someone walking by the house, but he tends to start with low-key growling and work his way up instead of going right into a frenzy of noise.

This brat is Lola. She's a Pit Bull. I'm not sure if she's a mix or not; looking at her here you can't really see the Pit in her, but from straight on it's readily apparent. She is a BARKER and often will go from 0 to 90 in 0.0000025 seconds if she hears the vaguest noise outside. Talk about a better security alarm than ADT. She's also VERY protective of me and the kids.

Sir Slash

Great pics guys! I saw a sign the other day that said, "If My Dog Doesn't Like You, Then I probably Won't Either". I couldn't agree more.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Just 4+ more years to retirement and a dog.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

BC both your dogs are adorable. I gotta post a pic of Clyde in here, you guys will love him.

AFAIK car sickness is very common in dogs, but we have been fortunate to have two non carsick dogs.

Our first one, the Rottie, we were warned by the breeder that during the ride home he may get sick. He sat in my sister's lap for an hour (he was 3 months old and about 11 pounds) and just smiled the whole time.

I looked over at him and said 'Wow, he's a trooper.' And thusly he was named :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

BanziCat - I understand your worry.  Zippo is probably 17 and has to wear a diaper due to incontinence.  Wrigley is 14.  We can see them decline every month.

BanzaiCat

Wow, airboy. That's a pretty long life for a dog. No doubt a full and awesome one, too.

I will always feel incredibly guilty because the last time I put down a dog, it was about 2002 or so. I was so upset I couldn't be in the same room with him when they did it. I won't do that again, no matter how hard it is.

airboy

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 15, 2018, 07:07:46 PM
Wow, airboy. That's a pretty long life for a dog. No doubt a full and awesome one, too.

I will always feel incredibly guilty because the last time I put down a dog, it was about 2002 or so. I was so upset I couldn't be in the same room with him when they did it. I won't do that again, no matter how hard it is.

Our first dog (Snort) lived to be 17.  She had a dog stroke and nothing would get her to wag her tail.  She walked in a circle hitting her head on the wall.  I gave my wife a weekend to get Snort to wag her tail.  She wagged more than any dog we have ever had - until the stroke.  It was very sad, but we petted her when the vet came to our house to put her down.  Very, very sad - but it was the best thing for Snort.

Greybriar

Quote from: airboy on January 15, 2018, 07:15:39 PM
Our first dog (Snort) lived to be 17.  She had a dog stroke and nothing would get her to wag her tail.  She walked in a circle hitting her head on the wall.  I gave my wife a weekend to get Snort to wag her tail.  She wagged more than any dog we have ever had - until the stroke.  It was very sad, but we petted her when the vet came to our house to put her down.  Very, very sad - but it was the best thing for Snort.

That's about where we are at with our 17-year-old Shih Tzu named Ginger. After her seizure in May and stroke last summer, the vet didn't hold out much hope for her since she had so many health problems and wouldn't eat. But I fed her a little dish of vanilla ice cream and that got her back to eating again, which may have been a mistake. But I couldn't stand to see her starve herself to death. Since then she has had a urinary tract infection that she recovered from. Currently we are doctoring both her ears due to inner ear infections. Despite all that, neither of us could put her down because Ginger doesn't want to leave us. We knew when our last dog was ready to go. But she suffered through her last night and died the next morning before we could take her to the vet to have her put down. I hope Ginger does the same.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I've only put down one dog but it was really, really painful.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd