Guam surrenders

Started by besilarius, December 28, 2017, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

LITTLE KNOWN NAVY HISTORY!

TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION!

THE SPANISH TRIED TO BORROW AMMUNITION FROM THE AMERICANS DURING THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR!

In the first stages of the Spanish-American War, on 14 April 1898, the USS Charleston was ordered to capture the Spanish island of Guam.

The USS Charleston was running on a schedule, too, they had been given only two days to complete this mission.

When the USS Charleston finally reached Guam, time was running out.

With every reason to expect heavy resistance, the USS Charleston fired 13 shots at the Spanish fort of Santa Luz and waited for a response.

The Spanish response was not the expected barrage of cannon fire that the Americans were expecting.

Instead the Spanish sent a single small boat , carrying a Spanish officer to the USS Charleston who politely asked permission to come aboard.

Out of curiosity, the CO of the USS Charleston let him come aboard.

The Spaniard politely welcomed the USS Charleston to Guam.

Then, the Spanish thanked the Americans for their lovely 13 gun salute ... and apologized that they had not saluted back as they were completely out of gunpowder.

The Spanish Officer proceeded to earnestly ask if the Americans if they would lend him some gun powdered so the Spanish could return the favor.

After what had to have been one of the most hilariously awkward conversations in the history of warfare, a confused and presumably very annoyed Spanish officer informed the Americans that Spain had never bothered to inform Guam that they were at war with the US.

This is why, the Spanish didn't bother stocking up on gunpowder.

This is how the strategically important island of Guam surrendered without firing a single shot,

PICTURE: The USS Charleston entering Agana Harbor in Guam in 1898
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Martok

Hahahahaha!  I'd never heard that story before.  Thanks for sharing, besilarius
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces