General Staff now on Kickstarter

Started by spelk, December 12, 2017, 09:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

General Staff ( http://general-staff.com/ ) has finally started its Kickstarter Campaign!

Dr Ezra Sidran is the genius behind The War College all those years ago and his new project looks pretty sweet!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1366362068/general-staff-game-of-military-tactics-and-wargami/description

Naturally, I had to back it. I hope it realises its goals.

Jarhead0331

You lost me at mathematical formulas and equations...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

spelk

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 12, 2017, 09:56:34 AM

He's a bod who is developing a learning AI for wargaming. And this game engine will allow you to not only play the 30 battles already included, but also create your own from an Army OOB editor, a map importer and editor and two modes of operation a simulation and a beers and skittles mode.

Are there any other wargames that can claim to have an AI that learns through play?

In essence this is the first step towards an AlphaWargame. Although that is probably over-egging the pudding. :)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: spelk on December 12, 2017, 10:01:03 AM

He's a bod who is developing a learning AI for wargaming. And this game engine will allow you to not only play the 30 battles already included, but also create your own from an Army OOB editor, a map importer and editor and two modes of operation a simulation and a beers and skittles mode.

Are there any other wargames that can claim to have an AI that learns through play?

In essence this is the first step towards an AlphaWargame. Although that is probably over-egging the pudding. :)

In that case, I'm hard pressed to support a project that may ultimately lead to the creation of Skynet and the end of mankind as we know it. :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: spelk on December 12, 2017, 10:01:03 AM

I don't know - but I'd put money on game developers having mad that claim in the past.
Alba gu' brath

DennisS

I owned this guy's UMS (Universal Military Simulator) over 30 years ago, and for the times, it was damned good. Interesting to see how this plays out.

Barthheart

See also this forum here:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?board=87.0

where Dr. Sidran has been talking about this project for some time.

O0

mirth

I really hope that the killer AI robots look like the hot chick from T3. Or Six from BSG.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Oh and just wait til Cyrano see this and his pants explode....

Capn Darwin

I would need to read or see more than what he has put our on the AI. His one posting on learning AI did not appear to be "learning" anything, only making weighted comparisons to known test cases. Our AI in Red Storm makes weighted comparisons on the dynamics of the current situation, but it is not learning anything in the process. Learning presupposes both memory and some form of good versus bad result by which future decisions are judged by. Maybe I missed that part in the particular posting. My only egghead post for the month.  :nerd:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on December 12, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

We're still cleaning up from the last time.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on December 12, 2017, 10:58:07 AM

you know Cyrano has the interview with the good Dr that's posting today, right?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

spelk

Quote from: Barthheart on December 12, 2017, 10:54:47 AM
See also this forum here:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?board=87.0
where Dr. Sidran has been talking about this project for some time.
O0

Ah sorry, I did a search for "General Staff" and couldn't find an immediate thread.

Oh wow, a whole sub-forum in the Game Forge for it.

Well then. We obviously thought this was a good enough project for that!

Go back it you miserable blighters!  ;)

It comes with lots of Napoleonics and ACW and even Isandlwana.  :bd:

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers