Gloomhaven

Started by acctingman, December 05, 2017, 01:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Wondering if anyone here has this and what they think of it as a solo d&d game?

I've read some reviews on bgg but that site gives me a headache 😀

bbmike

Amazon Price: $249.99 + $25 shipping  :o  :o  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

I believe they have another printing in the works.

Until then, sellers will be gouging.  Since it's popular.

It's obviously a very "Ameritrash" adventure game, with a focus on a long campaign.  I'm not sure if the low-level mechanics are all that amazing, but it seems to be popular due to the story-heavy campaign and huge amount of stuff in the box for it.

Been eyeballing it since first released, but it's a big buy-in.

acctingman

Not wanting to start another thread for this game

But....does anyone here have access to getting this game? KS supporter that wants to sell or maybe a good online place to pick this up?

A gentleman on BBG will sell his but S&H is $60 and he's adding a small markup (which I'm ok with...gotta make a buck where you can) but that brings the price to $210. WAY too much for me. MSRP is $140, but I'm like #9 on a waiting list at a couple stores here is Seattle.

Nefaro

Acctingman - I suppose you pre-ordered the new print run from a retailer?

I see it on pre-order at Amazon for $130, and estimated to ship later this month.  Big buy-in still, but it has HUGE amounts of cardboard variety in it.

Still unsure whether I'd like the encounter battles in it, though.  I like that it has card driven mechanics that push a lot of solitaire decisions every turn.  But when I look at the rather nondescript dungeon boards, and most of the monsters appearing to be stabby health containers with few specials(?), I begin to wonder if the battles will get repetitive quickly. 

I could be wrong in my brief perceptions, however, as I haven't watched enough campaign playthrough to see.  But at such a price tag, it makes me wonder how much I could get from other game(s) and expansions for the same price. 

Guess nobody has experience running it around here..?   :nerd:

acctingman

I've read some legit complaints about the game being repetitive, however, for every 1 comment like that I read 10 saying that your character gains new skills, better cards and the monsters increase in difficulty. This game is a dungeon crawler. Anyone buying Gloomhaven expecting anything else but that are probably going to be disappointed. If I want a story I'll fire up Baldur's Gate  O0

Take a look at this...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159504/folklore-affliction

it's more story driven and I'm all over this one when they come out with the 2nd edition. The 1st edition is still available, but with GH in my hands (hopefully in a couple weeks) I'm waiting for the 2nd print on Folklore.

There is also this one coming down the pipe and it looks interesting

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169427/middara

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on January 07, 2018, 09:45:15 AM

Take a look at this...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/159504/folklore-affliction

it's more story driven and I'm all over this one when they come out with the 2nd edition. The 1st edition is still available, but with GH in my hands (hopefully in a couple weeks) I'm waiting for the 2nd print on Folklore.

There is also this one coming down the pipe and it looks interesting

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169427/middara

I debated getting in on the reprint KS a couple months ago, but holiday wallet is even tighter.

Noticed it's core is a d100 system.   #:-)   Watched some short bits of gameplay and it definitely plays like an old DRM-overloaded d100 system.  Fortunately it's an adventure game so most of those pluses and minuses should already be on cards right in front of you.  Still.. ehh.  Too bad, because the setting and campaign features look fun.  I may still check out the base set from retail, if they make enough to last there.

acctingman

Got the game on the 19th and have been playing almost every day. I'm not a board game expert but I have to say this game is quite entertaining. I'm 5 scenarios in it's pretty challenging and fun. The card mechanics are pretty slick. Setup time can be a PIA though. You have to have some sort of storage solution. So much card board!!! 

Moreb

My copy of Gloomhaven just arrived a half hour ago.  I just happened to have the day off today which was a great coincidence.  The  box is absolutely huge and heavy. I've not opened it yet but plan to do so after running a few errands.

I got mine from Walmart.com for $140 with free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gloomhaven-Board-Game/291875780

BTW, it is the second printing. be careful where you order from you might be getting a first edition and the only way that I know of to tell is a small worded second printing on the back of the box below the UPC code
When dongles fly? - mirth

BanzaiCat

I'd love to get a copy of Gloomhaven eventually. I opted for Sword & Sorcery instead as it has a lot of cool components to it as well. Not as big as Gloomhaven, but still nice.

acctingman

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 06, 2018, 02:07:13 PM
I'd love to get a copy of Gloomhaven eventually. I opted for Sword & Sorcery instead as it has a lot of cool components to it as well. Not as big as Gloomhaven, but still nice.

Have fun there BC. Love to hear your opinions on it  O0

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 06, 2018, 02:07:13 PM

I've eyed S&S, but my gaming slack made me feel bad after realizing I've owned their earlier Galaxy Defenders for quite awhile and still haven't finished a whole scenario yet.  Hit the brakes.

BanzaiCat

I almost didn't get S&S because I'd read that it was fiddly, but there were a lot of fans on its Amazon page and they even answered one of my questions positively so I thought I'd give it a try. I've not seen it on Amazon for less than $250, though.

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 07, 2018, 07:28:50 PM
I almost didn't get S&S because I'd read that it was fiddly, but there were a lot of fans on its Amazon page and they even answered one of my questions positively so I thought I'd give it a try. I've not seen it on Amazon for less than $250, though.

$250?!

You sure?  I see S&S on there for ~$65 to $70. 

Haven't been too worried about S&S running out of print.  The publisher seems to have kept Galaxy Defenders pretty well stocked the past few years since it's release.  I expect the supply of S&S to similarly remain available.

As for Gloomhaven, the creator stated they made a huge amount of extra copies for retail. 

BanzaiCat

At the time I was looking at it, yes. Price gouging via a third-party seller. This was...oh, I'd say September or so last year.