Argentine Submarine missing

Started by bayonetbrant, November 18, 2017, 10:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42030560

QuoteThe Argentine navy is stepping up its search in the South Atlantic for a 44-crew submarine that has been out of radio contact for three days.
President Mauricio Macri said all national and international resources were being deployed to help find the San Juan as quickly as possible.
A Nasa research plane has joined the search for the vessel.
Britain and countries in the region have offered help after it disappeared 430km (267 miles) off the coast.
"We have not been able to find, or have visual or radar communication with the submarine," navy spokesman Enrique Balbi told a news conference.

more at the link
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Oh shit. I hope it's just a case of really big Atlantic, really small still-buoyant boat, busted radio, and looking a little more.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Has anybody checked the Falklands? That's where they turned-up last time.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2017/11/19/signalen-ontvangen-vanuit-argentijnse-duikboot/   (google translate)

"Receiving signals from Argentine submarine"

The Argentine navy received signals that probably came from the Argentinean submarine that had disappeared since Wednesday. In a few hours, 7 attempts were made to make contact via the satellite telephone, but that failed every time.

The signals, which lasted between 4 and 36 seconds, are a sign that the submarine may have surfaced again, says the spokesman for the Argentine navy. However, the connection could not be restored. Currently it is attempted to locate where the signal comes, but this is complicated by high waves of six to seven meters.

Staggerwing

If the sea-state is that bad then it's possible that they can only surface briefly for very short transmissions.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 19, 2017, 07:25:09 AM
If the sea-state is that bad then it's possible that they can only surface briefly for very short transmissions.

Today they reported that all signals they had received were false (biological origin).

Back to square one and time is running out.

airboy

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 21, 2017, 01:36:42 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 19, 2017, 07:25:09 AM

Today they reported that all signals they had received were false (biological origin).

Back to square one and time is running out.

That is bad, scary news.  But thanks for the update.

Atilla60

QuoteThe missing Argentine submarine may have been located early this morning, after a US Navy aircraft allegedly detected a 'heat stain' from 230ft below the surface, some 185miles from the coast, and a rescue vessel separately reported hearing a sonar signal.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106689/Missing-Argentine-submarine-located-Navy.html
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

mirth