Author Topic: GOP Tax Plan Discussion  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Labbug

• Viking
Re: GOP Tax Plan Discussion
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
https://www.ntu.org/foundation/page/who-pays-income-taxes

I believe the data is for individual income earners.  The upper 25% of personal income earners pay almost 87% of the personal income tax paid.  If you look at the upper 10% of wage earners, it is almost 71% .
The bottom 50% pays less than 3%.  If you are going to provide tax cuts, it should go to those who pay taxes.  Otherwise, it is simply welfare payments.

Offline DoctorQuest

• Man-at-Arms
  • I'm not a real doctor.
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a read. Again, I am not against corporate tax reform. I have investments in a number of those companies.

I question how much it will help the rest of us.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Offline Labbug

• Viking
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline OJsDad

• Landsknecht
  • Fighting for Oppressed Individualism
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a read. Again, I am not against corporate tax reform. I have investments in a number of those companies.

I question how much it will help the rest of us.

That's the question we all have for any reforms/cuts. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
So we're trying to "Make America Great Again" eh?

so what...  a return to 1960?  Was America great then?

Here's your 1960 tax rates
http://federal-tax-rates.insidegov.com/l/45/1960
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline OJsDad

• Landsknecht
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Whats 1960 have to do with today.  Are those the rates you think we should be at today.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2017, 06:02:12 PM »
Whats 1960 have to do with today.  Are those the rates you think we should be at today.

not the ones I think should be today's.

just ironic that the MAGA crowd seems focused on a return to pre-Vietnam-War America, when they think America was at its "greatest" but are unwilling to actually re-create all the conditions that existed at the time, like tax rates (tho at least some of them seem fine with re-segregating the country)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline OJsDad

• Landsknecht
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 06:04:52 AM »
That makes no sense what so ever, unless you're only looking at the tax rates, and nothing else. 

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »
are tax rates not a relevant part of an economic discussion?

Offline OJsDad

• Landsknecht
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Sure, but you haven't explained how implementing 1960 tax law today will make things better.

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:08 AM »
Sure, but you haven't explained how implementing 1960 tax law today will make things better.

I don't know if it will or not, but I'm not averse to including it in the discussion, as long as we're talking about trying to roll the country back to 1960

Offline airboy

• Condottieri
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »

I don't know if it will or not, but I'm not averse to including it in the discussion, as long as we're talking about trying to roll the country back to 1960

The only one here talking about a return to 1960 here is you.

You need to limit your Facebook time.

Offline DoctorQuest

• Man-at-Arms
  • I'm not a real doctor.
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »

The question is if America is not "great" now, when was it? I'm not sure you'd get the same answer from everyone.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Offline ghostryder

• Viking
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »

The question is if America is not "great" now, when was it? I'm not sure you'd get the same answer from everyone.

After WWII and throughout the 50s was when america was Great. one wage earner is all you needed for most families. Of course this was mainly fueled by circumstances that will never repeat. Europe and asia was in ruins and the USA was basically intact and the only one with the manufacturing- paired with a male worker shortage. this was when unions gave away the farm to attract workers and made pension plans with the forcast those times were going to last. Well they didn't. Europe and asia rebuilt and by the early 60s were starting to seriously compete. We of course laughed at those first 'made in japan' cars and goods. No one's laughing today.

As far as the tax plan. no one's talking about the added tax bracket for the rich. this was sold as 3 tax brackets during the campaign, not 4 and certainly not one that exceeded 48 percent. Secondly unlike Regan--who didn't talk about 'classes' but simply cut taxes across the board--this one is filled with 'classes' be it upper, middle or lower- and is tinkered with to target each-- and what's worse it tinkers with home ownage and the real estate market that got us in this mess to begin with. okay- your house may not reach that 500k so you may be okay...but that renter...even that lower income renter...who's living in an apartment in a complex that's worth say 5 million is about to get a huge fricking rent increase. Let's not even get into those small buisness's that aren't incorporated and will now get hit with that 48 percent tax bracket.

with Obamacare still alive it ain't the corporations that will hire those full timers-- it's the mom and pop shops...well they would have but now this crap is gonna stomp on them. Ain't nothing good here in this fiasco scheme to talk about.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:32:53 PM by ghostryder »

Offline joram

• Equites