Avengers: Infinity War

Started by mirth, July 15, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

Not as dreamy as doctor banner  :smitten: now there's a guy who doesn't need a beard to look badass  ;D black widow needs to get her act together and snap up the hulk ....
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Watching this clip, Disney really needs to reboot Star Wars. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

Yes, I don't even care where I left my pants. Hope she calls me tomorrow.  :dreamer: :dreamer: :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, the acquisition of 20th Century Fox (...is it still called that??) by Disney continues to move forward. Apparently.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jamus34

I'd be up for a Deadpool / Spider-Man movie.
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

I've read some of the comics when I was young, but never got deep into them.  I know some of you here are big into them.  With what was done with the movies, are you disappointed that they didn't follow the comics or did they stay pretty true to them. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

I followed only a few of them with passion (X-Men, Spider-Man (several), Iron Man), and only for about 9 years or so, from about '82 to '91. Plus some other things, such as annuals and graphic novels. I'd like to think I'm generally familiar with the MCU, and that said, I think the movies are perfectly great the way they are.

I'm not sure how close they follow the comics but there are some similarities. Thor: Ragnarok had some influence from Planet Hulk, I think (I never read PH but was familiar vaguely with it). It's good to see some of that influencing the movies, probably far more than I am aware of.

MetalDog

I collected and read all those Avengers as well as Warlock and the Infinity Watch.  Been a long time since I read them and I don't still have them, so, I can't tell you how true they are to the source material.  I will say that I've been pleased with the focus on the Avengers by the MCU and I am totally looking forward to the end of the 4th stage and starting a new storyline, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Vision and Scarlet Witch were an item in the comics, so that's holding true in the movies too, it seems.

JudgeDredd

I have to say - I'm very, very stoked about this. Marvel continue to deliver solid, entertaining movies for me to enjoy with my daughter...so I'm a happy bunny  :smitten:
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Quote from: OJsDad on December 02, 2017, 10:03:11 PM
I've read some of the comics when I was young, but never got deep into them.  I know some of you here are big into them.  With what was done with the movies, are you disappointed that they didn't follow the comics or did they stay pretty true to them.

Essay time!  >:D

As I mentioned recently in the Thor3 thread, the MCU has pretty consistently kept the heroes and their origins close to canon (with some combinations of "canon" like from the "Ultimates" comic line), while mostly adjusting the villains (the Red Skull being a key exception) and very much adjusting any famous storylines they were borrowing from.

This would have led to more discontent from the fanbase along the lines of DARK PHOENIX SAGA WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH, except for:

1.) The established stories they're messing with were notoriously fan-mixed in reception to begin with (and in the case of Age of Ultron not even canon if I recall correctly); so they aren't messing with something as solidly important to fans as, for example, the Dark Phoenix Saga. (For those who don't know, that's the X-Men story that X-Men 3 mostly referenced with the red-haired Famke Jenson coming back from the dead, going crazy, and having to be killed. Fox looks on track to ruin that again in a year or two with the next X-film. Although for the record I was a lot more okay with X3 than most fans, partly because I had realistic expectations of what they could do with the Phoenix storyline on a relatively cramped film story and budget.)

2.) The heroes and action have been written as fun and engaging, and not only in a whipped cream way but with some thematic and emotional oomph, too.

One exception to Factor One, was the Winter Story in Cap 2 and 3; just about universally well-received by fans (after getting over the Two People Who Should Stay Dead hump, those being Spidey's Uncle Ben and Bucky Barnes.) But that stayed pretty close to fan expectations so it isn't really an exception. Also, it could be said to fit into staying-close-to-hero-canon, too.

The other two exceptions that come to mind are the main plots of Thor 3, looooooooooosely combining the Planet Hulk and Thor Ragnarok stories, both of which have high fan credit. However, I've also seen more annoyance from fans about this movie's story adaptation than anything else before -- this is partly where the "too funny" complaints come from. So the generalization still fits: when they DO fiddle with a well-beloved story there's fan backlash (to some degree). And there have been at least two maybe three or four "Thor Ragnarok" canon stories, depending on how you count them, only one of which seems to have the broad fan appeal (Walt Simonson's late 80s epic Thor run) so there's a history of lesser-retcon/redos for this story in the comics already.

Compare with Fox, who can't seem to figure out how to write the Fantastic Four and their supporting cast, but who have broadly managed to write the X-Men and some key X-villains (the ones who approach anti-hero status, notably) according to the characterizations which won them iconic and lasting support. But when they've tried to adapt beloved stories and had to change them a lot (i.e. Dark Phoenix, Days of Future Past, Age of Apocalypse, WolvieOrigins), they've picked up major criticism. (Also, Wolvie:origins is painfully non-good in places, and they reaaaallllllyyyy screwed up Deadpool's character at the end. Before then, a pretty decent pre-Deadpool Wade Wilson the fans loved; also Sabretooth was more in line with his classic character and fans liked that. Gambit and the Blob tended to go over pretty well in their extended cameos, too.)

Deadpool, again, they (eventually) got the character basically right (even if I'd prefer PG-13 pool because I think that requires more wit in writing him to be funny), and his origin story hits the right points. Everything else was reasonably flexible.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

The Walt (and Louise) Simonson Thor was my absolute favorite!  I happened to notice in the credits to Thor:Ragnarok that Walt was thanked for his help on the film.  If I was going to complain about any of the plot from the movie, it would be that Fenris was nowhere near as potent, Jormungandr was never mentioned and Surtur was basically, as you stated previously, there to add a bit of comic relief and take care of the Hela problem.  Never having read the Planet Hulk storyline, I can't comment on that, but, it seemed to work in service of the plot, so, it's good by me.  All in all I enjoyed it.  Especially the fight scenes with, 'The Immigrant Song."  GOD I love me some Zeppelin!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

While attending a housewarming party of a friend of ours today, I spent about 20 minutes talking to a 9 year old boy who gave me about 3 or 4 new ideas of how Infinity War will work including how Thor will get his hammer back and where all the Infinity Stones are. He should have his own blog.  What ARE they feeding kids these days?  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.