Main Menu

VPN

Started by mirth, March 29, 2017, 10:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I'll add this. ISPs already monetize their customers by charging fees for the internet services they provide. If Comcast wants to start providing free internet in exchange for collecting and selling customer data, I'd have no problem with it. So long as it were transparent and governed by the same rules that other web companies follow when giving away services in exchange for collecting and selling customer data.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on March 30, 2017, 01:11:59 PM
I'll add this. ISPs already monetize their customers by charging fees for the internet services they provide. If Comcast wants to start providing free internet in exchange for collecting and selling customer data, I'd have no problem with it. So long as it were transparent and governed by the same rules that other web companies follow when giving away services in exchange for collecting and selling customer data.

Agreed.

But it's obvious that wouldn't be the case.  At least, I've seen no such propositions coming from the ISPs.

I'm a bit peeved about the privacy thing, but it's the other related issue that gets me fuming.  For ISPs to throttle customers, at their own whim, should be criminal. 

More so since these big providers have a monopoly, or near-monopoly, on the service in any given area.  It's not like there are many local options, if at all, to promote business competition.  Hell, I only have two decent hi-speed options here and I live in a major metropolitan area.  Some areas are stuck with only one good option, if any.

Admittedly, this piece of legislation doesn't concern the speed throttling & site blocking issue which has been put forth before.  But it will come again.  It keeps coming back - need to stake it in the heart for good.

bbmike

NordVPN sale. I think I'll take advantage of this.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

I bought NordVPN. It is extremely easy to install and use. I also haven't noticed any change in download speeds.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on April 10, 2017, 08:34:19 AM
I bought NordVPN. It is extremely easy to install and use. I also haven't noticed any change in download speeds.

Cool. Good to know.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

I did the same. I'm testing it out on my Windowbox and I also don't notice any difference yet. I'll soon be trying it out on my iMac.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

I've noticed that if I download from Steam with NordVPN activated I get really slow download speeds. If I turn it off, the download speeds are back to normal (extremely fast). I'm guessing that Steam is doing something on their end if they don't see my 'normal' IP address?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on April 27, 2017, 04:42:37 PM
I've noticed that if I download from Steam with NordVPN activated I get really slow download speeds. If I turn it off, the download speeds are back to normal (extremely fast). I'm guessing that Steam is doing something on their end if they don't see my 'normal' IP address?

Seems likely