Stars In Shadow - Another Space 4X

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2016, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Due for EA release on 9/15. Not totally against the comic art style...looks like it could be interesting.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/464880/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_3

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

I've had my eye on this. I actually like the art-style even though comics aren't my thing.

Really hope this is more than just the standard space 4x fare...

Jarhead0331

It reminds me a bit of the fist SOTS. At first, the art style didn't grab me, but eventually, I grew to love that game and its sequel. I'll definitely be picking this one up. I love the variety of ship classes...I hope the gameplay permits the player to actually take advantage of the various roles.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steelgrave

Yeah, the art style doesn't grab me at first, but I see a lot of things I like in the screenshots themselves. I can see this game making it's way into my Steam cart.

jamus34

Reminds me of the original MOO...with a more cartoonish bend to it.

Bears watching...of course I'm of the mindset that I really do not care what a game looks like...if it plays well and I have fun then I'll give it a try.
Insert witty comment here.

Tpek

Been on my wishlist for a while now,
But I'd rather wait for impressions and a sale I guess.
There are so many (many many) other Space 4X games out there right now.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I like the UI, but it remains to be seen if this offers anything new.  So far, I'm pleasantly enjoying Polaris Sector, as it does have some new things to it that set it apart. 

I do wish they'd gotten away from the original colony grab / land rush model, though.  DW:U is the only game that seemed to get this right, through the introduction of aggressive pirate factions that make PvE the player's dominant concern in the early parts of the game.  Still, PS does a lot of things right.

Surtur

Afternoon gents,

Glad to see some interest for Stars in Shadow here on the forum. I am involved with the project as producer on behalf of the publisher.

The game coming along really well and we are very excited to show it to the public.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Surtur
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Surtur on September 13, 2016, 06:53:27 AM
Afternoon gents,

Glad to see some interest for Stars in Shadow here on the forum. I am involved with the project as producer on behalf of the publisher. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Surtur

How about a steam key so we can post some impressions?  O0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

tgb

Welcome, Surtur-

Other than the artwork, what is there to differentiate your game from the other 4,739 space-based 4X title already on the market?

Surtur

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 13, 2016, 07:06:17 AM
How about a steam key so we can post some impressions?  O0

Drop a line to our PR and you will get one. PM me if you need more info :)

The game has some really cool mechanics when it comes to ship design, combat, diplomacy etc. It has a bit of that oldskool feel to it and once you dig deeper, the way the mechanics interact is really well done.

For example. Right now I am testing a game as the Yorals, where I had to make peace with the humans. Not because I was losing, but because because the human population I already annexed somehow opposed the continued bombings of their species...

Other than that the game has an exellent UI that, together with the core design, really keep micro to a minimum even in late game and we have deep hands-on tactical battles.

I know there are many 4X games out there, but this one has its own unique feel and a lot of flavour.

Edit: Did I mention you can create slave colonies?

sandman2575

Interesting. I really do hope Stars in Shadow has something unique to offer. I recently went through a bout of trying to find a space 4x to hold my interest... failed, and so just went back to Elite:Dangerous.  I was interested in the upcoming Endless Space 2 until I heard the ship combat is even *more* hands-off than the original. Stars in Shadow right now seems like the most intriguing new space 4x coming down the pike...

Surtur

Developer Ashdar Games gives you full control over your ships in combat, down to the individual weapons. Of course there is also the option to autoresolve  :)

Anguille

solops

I picked this up last night (20% off). Have not played, but got in and looked around...it looks very interesting.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin