Ye olde reading chair?

Started by Toonces, March 12, 2016, 01:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I figure this is an appropriate forum for this question.

I spend a LOT of time reading- hours and hours a day for both work and pleasure.  I don't have a good reading chair; in fact, I don't really have any chair for reading except the dining room.

I'm looking for some ideas.  For some reason I'm leaning away from a Lazy-Boy type chair.  I previously had a Pier1 papasan chair that was pretty comfortable, but the cushion was so thin that I could feel the frame through it, so I took it back.  But I'm looking for something like that, or another chair/stool combo that is really comfortable to sit in for hours at a time, looks good, and doesn't cost too much.  Like, there are some reading chairs out there that run in the thousands of dollars- that's out of the question. 

Just throwing that out there.  If you have a favorite chair, please share.  Pics are also welcome!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

I could see you with one of these

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

^HAHAHAHA!!!!

One day a few years from now I will invest in a La Z Boy...it is a life's goal for me. Right now I have a very old school cherry wood chair for gaming - it is not comfortable and hurts my bony ass - but I did this so I don't sit at the computer for too long.

In the living room I have a much more comfortable chair near the fireplace that I watch tv in and sometimes read in. But since it is so comfortable I typically pass out after a few minutes :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

That's the problem with a really comfortable chair, you're asleep before you've finished a page.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

^ LOL.  Nice Ugg chair.

I'm thinking maybe something like this.  It's about $350 so it's at the very top of what I'm looking to spend:

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bayonetbrant

I've got a pair of older wooden box/crate chairs from This End Up that my parents bought 30-odd years ago. Been using them since they were handed down to me about 12 years ago.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on March 12, 2016, 04:14:17 PM
^ LOL.  Nice Ugg chair.

I'm thinking maybe something like this.  It's about $350 so it's at the very top of what I'm looking to spend:

Product link? We can't put an image in our Amazon carts, y'know...  :P
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Quote from: Toonces on March 12, 2016, 04:14:17 PM
^ LOL.  Nice Ugg chair.

...looks nice and comfy, but our 3 saber-toothed cats would have that destroyed in a day or less.

+100 for the beer holder  O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Toonces

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 12, 2016, 04:25:26 PM
I've got a pair of older wooden box/crate chairs from This End Up that my parents bought 30-odd years ago. Been using them since they were handed down to me about 12 years ago.

This chair, Brant?

bbmike

^ I have a couch and futon from This End Up that I inherited with the river house that looks just like that. The cushions are navy blue though. I suspect they've been there about 30 years as well.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

I have a Magic Chair. Every time I sit down in it to read, the phone rings, the doorbell rings, or the cat needs to go out or come in.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 13, 2016, 10:06:31 PM
I have a Magic Chair. Every time I sit down in it to read, the phone rings, the doorbell rings, or the cat needs to go out or come in.

Lol.  In my case, its as if the Mrs. has this amazing, "shhh...I just heard someone sit down; aw hell naw!" ability to quickly curtail any sort of "leisure," activity in favor of work.

Toonces

A year later and I still have this dilemma.  Now, maybe it's just fate, or maybe the Gods heard my thoughts...I don't know.  But I asked my wife what the local yard sale website is where people in our local community put things up for sale, and she said it's on Facebook.  So I go on Facebook, which I very rarely do, and don't you know there's this little highlight thingy that is pointing to "marketplace" with a pop-up window?

How does it know?  Is Zuckerberg reading my thoughts?  Some sort of hybrid Apple/Facebook mind meld thingy?

Anyway, a few seconds of clicking and I had a nice selection of free chairs within an hour of my home.  A few look like just what I'm seeking.

As I'm desperately trying not to "buy" anything I can't unload at the dump in the next year in anticipation of a big cross-country, downsizing move, this might be just the ticket.

But...spooky, man.   :hide:

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd