The Lordz Games Studio strikes a licence deal on Check Your 6!

Started by Lord Zimoa, February 01, 2016, 06:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Bah!

I'll certainly play the original prop selection, but gimme the Arab-Israeli Wars ASAP.  Vietnam too.  Oh, and some of the African Wars stuff from JA.  :knuppel2:

Are the plans to just have premade and custom scenarios available for the digital version?  Or will extra features be added such as randomized forces, campaigns, etc?

Also, how many players do you plan to support for a multi-player match?

Looking forward to this.

Cyrano

...and, of course, no LAN support, correct?

THIS is the sort of thing that makes me want to burn PBEM++ with fire.  The potential here for large-scale MP is immense and, I suspect, will not materialize.

*sigh*

Ceteram censeo, delenda est PBEM++

Now, of course, I'll buy it, but that was never really a question...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

airboy

I never play flight sims.  I just don't enjoy twitch games of any type (shooters, flight sims etc....).

I have never played and don't know anything about "Check your 6."

Will this be a tactical strategy game or some variant of a flight sim?  Tactical strategy flight game - very interested.  Flight sim of any sort - not going to happen.

Can anyone enlighten me about the game?  [BTW - don't take this as an insult against flight sims or shooters.  I don't like them or play them - but everyone else enjoy!]

mirth

It's a tactical air combat simulation. It's not a flight sim in the PC sense. It's turn based, you control one or more aircraft, plot movement, set speed/altitude, etc.

It's a deceptively simple game. Easy to pick up and start pushing planes around the table. There's a lot of nuance in the maneuvering and you need to be thinking moves ahead (for yourself and your opponents). It elegantly captures the key elements of ACM. In the end, it's all about managing energy.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30958/check-your-6
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

acctingman

Quote from: airboy on February 02, 2016, 03:41:05 PM
I never play flight sims.  I just don't enjoy twitch games of any type (shooters, flight sims etc....).

I have never played and don't know anything about "Check your 6."

Will this be a tactical strategy game or some variant of a flight sim?  Tactical strategy flight game - very interested.  Flight sim of any sort - not going to happen.

Can anyone enlighten me about the game?  [BTW - don't take this as an insult against flight sims or shooters.  I don't like them or play them - but everyone else enjoy!]

Check Your 6 is a miniatures game about aerial combat

Here is a short video tutorial about the basics of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWdchYG1ic4

It's an awesome game

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Here's a pic from a CY6 Jet Age game I played in a couple years ago. It was a Mid-East game - Israel v Egypt

QuoteShot of Dave's Mirage lining up on the Beagles. He's too close for missiles, so he's going to have make a gun pass. I believe this Mirage is piloted by Dave's green skill level pilot. He must have missed the part of the mission brief that described the 23mm cannons in the tail of each Beagle.

bobarossa

So we're talking an Achtung Spitfire/Over the Reich type of game?  If so, I'm in!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: mirth on February 02, 2016, 03:49:31 PM
It's a tactical air combat simulation. It's not a flight sim in the PC sense. It's turn based, you control one or more aircraft, plot movement, set speed/altitude, etc.

It's a deceptively simple game. Easy to pick up and start pushing planes around the table. There's a lot of nuance in the maneuvering and you need to be thinking moves ahead (for yourself and your opponents). It elegantly captures the key elements of ACM. In the end, it's all about managing energy.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30958/check-your-6

Thanks - sounds exciting.

TacticalWargames

Love to see squadron management and some sort of RPG feature\element. Also an actual war going on where you see the strategic map and be given missions that tie into it. Things that aren't really possible to do with a mini's game but can be done once on a PC. I want planes to behave aswell as the pilot flying it. I may give the order but if a pilots skill would struggle with it then I want there to be a chance of it not being pulled off right, maybe even going into a spin or something if the move could have caused this or doesn't pull the turn off well and bleeds power or altitude etc etc..

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: mirth on February 02, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
The progression from prop planes to jets makes sense. That's how the tabletop game developed. It's a natural progression.
For me the CY6 sweet spot is the 1950s before AAMs become dominant. Love the jet age guns-only combat.
I completely agree.  The Korean air war has always been a favorite topic.  I bought AH Flight Leader just for the Korean War scenarios.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

mirth

Quote from: TacticalWargames on February 04, 2016, 01:08:55 PM
Love to see squadron management and some sort of RPG feature\element. Also an actual war going on where you see the strategic map and be given missions that tie into it. Things that aren't really possible to do with a mini's game but can be done once on a PC. I want planes to behave aswell as the pilot flying it. I may give the order but if a pilots skill would struggle with it then I want there to be a chance of it not being pulled off right, maybe even going into a spin or something if the move could have caused this or doesn't pull the turn off well and bleeds power or altitude etc etc..

There are existing rules for entering a spin, recovery attempts, etc. It ties into pilot skill and the maneuver you're attempting (aircraft damage has an effect). The game really isn't intended for RPG elements. It's a nice idea, but it wouldn't really be CY6 imho.  There are campaign rules and the results of one battle can influence the next.

I'm hoping the digital versions stay fairly close to the tabletop game. It's a great game and really doesn't need a lot of tinkering. That's one of the joys of playing it, you really don't feel much need to house rule things.

mirth

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on February 04, 2016, 01:24:25 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 02, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
The progression from prop planes to jets makes sense. That's how the tabletop game developed. It's a natural progression.
For me the CY6 sweet spot is the 1950s before AAMs become dominant. Love the jet age guns-only combat.
I completely agree.  The Korean air war has always been a favorite topic.  I bought AH Flight Leader just for the Korean War scenarios.

I have Flight Leader in my collection. I should look at using some of the scenarios for CY6 games.

TacticalWargames

Mirth not even if the combat was purely Check Your 6? Then the othe rpart to the game is Squadron Management and having to juggle pilots for the missions of the day? I suppose the RPG element I was thinking of was pilot progression, medals awarded, kill tallies. This way instead of just a set number of scenarios\missions and that's it. You could create campaigns aswell to really bring the Check your 6 combat into an allround indepth game. Get the player to get attached to their pilots so they have some emtional investment.