Hmm...

Started by BanzaiCat, May 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

My daughter was giggling listening to something on her iPad, so when I asked her what it was, she showed me. Some kind of D&D podcast.

I pointed her to the Acquisitions, Inc. podcasts from Penny Arcade and the PAX videos on YouTube, as they are highly entertaining.

Then she told me she wants to play D&D. And her friends might want to play. Keep in mind we're talking about 14-year-old girls here. I really, really do not want to be the 40-something guy DMing a game with 14-year-old girls.

I figure the best solution is to buy her a Basic set, but it's 150 goddamn dollars on Amazon. What. The. Hell?!?

Any recommendations from you more experienced D&D players? I still have my 1978 editions of the Player's Handbook and DMG, but nothing else.

Nefaro

Dunno what's up with the new D&D boxed reprints.

But you can find the D&D 5th Edition stuff on Amazon below retail prices.  From what I gather, the 5th edition is much like the old pre-v3 AD&D stuff.  I'm not an expert as I've not bothered with tabletop D&D since 3.0.

Notably, there is a 5th Edition "Starter Set" of the type that eases newcomers into it all with minimal reading, quick play scenario, dice, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Starter-Set-Roleplaying/dp/0786965592/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432674413&sr=8-2&keywords=dungeons+%26+dragons+5th

Then the usual Player's & DM Guides, Monster Manual, etc is also easily available there at good prices ($25-$30 each).

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Nefaro. Just what I was looking for. I didn't even think about looking for '5th edition.'  :-[

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 26, 2015, 04:55:35 PM
Thanks, Nefaro. Just what I was looking for. I didn't even think about looking for '5th edition.'  :-[

5th Edition just came out.  Maybe even less than 6 months ago..

Nearly all the reviews praise it for being a mix of the old 1st/2nd Editions with the best additions from later versions, without getting bogged down too much.

I'm not in a hurry to buy yet another D&D edition after my last set (3.0) because the WotC jackanapes turned around and re-released it as 3.5 in almost no time and my set was already dated.  But from the sounds of it, 5th Edition may be the rule set that sticks.

I believe there is a 100-page Starters guide pdf available for download from WotC so I will eventually check it out.  Just bought a handful of other unusual RPGs so those will keep me busy for awhile.  :)

bayonetbrant

this sounds like a podcast topic :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 26, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
this sounds like a podcast topic :)

D&D is probably a popular podcast topic.  You might draw some extra attention, here, if you hosted it.

"D&D for 14-year old girls.  And how?"  ;D

MetalDog

I had been eyeballing the 5th Edition Starter set at Walmart for several months.  About a month ago, it was on sale for ten bucks, so, I bought it.  It comes with a Players book and a DM/Adventure book, 5 pre-made characters and a bag of dice.  I just opened it over the long weekend and I am going through it.  If you have any questions, B_C, I'd be glad to answer them.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

^ I take it this is in the Toys section? It's been years since I've been in a Wal-Mart, let alone its toy section.

MetalDog

It was in the express lane checkout at my local Wally World.  The same place they keep all the CCG's and game/TV show related bobbleheads and gewgaws.

BanzaiCat

Ahh, okay, I think I know whereabouts that may be. When my son was little he loved Pokemon cards, and I'd grab him a pack or two from that display. Thanks, I might swing by there this week.

MetalDog

Excellent!  Good luck.  I always try to go early in the morning.  Less people there to get in your way. ;)

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on May 26, 2015, 08:31:02 PM
It was in the express lane checkout at my local Wally World.  The same place they keep all the CCG's and game/TV show related bobbleheads and gewgaws.

LOL.  I was an office manager at a supplier who provided that stuff to Wal-Marts and some other places in the Midwest, long ago.  Back then it was mostly sports cards/collectibles and a smattering of CCGs.  I hated dealing with the Wal-Martians.  Luckily didn't have to do it much in my position.

Emeraldlis

Erm ...well you all sound like very experienced gamers , and I am a complete novice to this , but I'm going to stick my oar into the very murky and unclear waters of the gaming world , and hazard a suggestion :)

Does it have to be a new game banzai_cat ? Can you buy second hand in good condition , after all we are talking teenage girls , who may very well change thier minds after you've splashed the cash !!!

I'm talking from experience of having a teenage daughter myself , and it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind now innit .  😆
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Nefaro

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 11:23:15 AM
Erm ...well you all sound like very experienced gamers , and I am a complete novice to this , but I'm going to stick my oar into the very murky and unclear waters of the gaming world , and hazard a suggestion :)

Does it have to be a new game banzai_cat ? Can you buy second hand in good condition , after all we are talking teenage girls , who may very well change thier minds after you've splashed the cash !!!

I'm talking from experience of having a teenage daughter myself , and it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind now innit .  😆

Welcome to the forum! 

You certainly have a good point.  Although I'm not sure how many second hand 5th Edition manuals are floating about for sale right now, since it was just released in the last few months.  The ones being resold are probably going for almost as much as the new ones, I suspect, but he could get lucky in a right place-right time situation with some patience & perseverance. 

I figured the Starter Set would probably be best, both for letting them test the waters and being newcomers to the whole thing.  Easy on the wallet for a trial run, too.

Martok

Welcome to Grogheads, Emeraldlis!  Good to have you with us.  :) 

Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 27, 2015, 11:23:15 AM
Purchasing the gaming materials in used/good condition would indeed probably be close to the ideal, yes.  I suspect, however, that it's generally very difficult (and probably outright impossible most of the time) to actually do so. 

Most folks I know very rarely (read: never) sell their books, sheets, etc., for any gaming system such as Dungeons & Dragons.  Instead, they almost always either hold onto them indefinitely, or give them away to someone else.  I'm aware of a few instances in which a person actually sold their gaming materials to another person, but that's the exception to the rule...and I've never personally heard of anyone selling their gaming stuff to a retail establishment for eventual resale.  I've no doubt others have done this, but I suspect it's not that common. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces