Welcome to the General Staff crew

Started by bayonetbrant, May 01, 2017, 08:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Welcome to Dr Ezra Sidran!

We're opening up a specific subforum for his General Staff series of digital games   :bd:

More info about the games can be found here
http://general-staff.com

Feel free to jump in here with whatever questions or comments you've got for him.  O0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Dr D Ezra Sidran

Thank you so much for giving this forum to answer questions about General Staff. I'm hoping that Grogheads will contribute their suggestions to the final game, the scenarios that will ship with it, and ideas for new suggestions.

mirth

Welcome, Dr Sidran. Look forward to checking out your game. What I saw from your website looked very nice.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

+1, Welcome to Grogheads, Dr. Sidran!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

MetalDog

Welcome, Dr. Sidran!  Read through the info on the home page for General Staff.  I like what you've done.  Giving options for a simple game or complex.  I haven't delved into the videos yet, but, it looks like you've got a really good thing here.  O0
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Dr D Ezra Sidran

Thank you so much for making me feel at home.

As you may have read(and here's the link if you haven't): http://general-staff.com/a-wargame-55-years-in-the-making/ I've been out of 'commercial wargaming' for quite a few years and, instead, have been consulting for DARPA, DoD, the US Army, Office of Naval Research, etc.

I'm very appreciative of Grogheads and the entire wargaming community for making me welcome and not laughing at me as I get back up to speed with the commercial computer wargame market.

Your feedback is also vitally important to me. I want to produce the game that you grognards want.

bayonetbrant

there's been some new videos sneaking out around the web; let's hope we get some more discussion of them here as they start to get shared around
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Iconoclast

Let me start by saying I am intrigued by what I see, anything that reminds me of Kriegsspiel is guaranteed to get my attention.

I find it peculiar though, that all videos there are and most of the information shared seem to be about editor-features. Those are certainly great to have, and they seem well done from what I saw, but I would have guessed that Dev-Diaries about the editor is something for the last Entries. Instead, wouldn't it be great to have a more specific outlook on the game itself?

Is there, for example, a feature list around? I remember that there will be a courier system. But what about the FoW mechanic? Orders from superiors during scenarios like in SoW? Uncontrolled neighbors that can collapse and influence your operation? Sieges mechanics? War Bridges? Multiplayer? PBEM? (Just found the answer in an interview.)

Just throwing a few key words into the ring, that I find relevant.

Good luck with the further development,

A
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

Dr D Ezra Sidran

First, let me apologize for not responding sooner. I hadn't ticked the 'notify' button and didn't know there was a question waiting for me.

There's a very logical reason why you are seeing videos about the various editors (Army Editor, Map Editor & Scenario Editor) and that's because when creating a wargame construction suite of programs these are the first programs that have to be written (so you have armies, maps and scenarios to load into your game engine).

We've now had a successful Kickstarter launch for the actual game (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1366362068/general-staff-game-of-military-tactics-and-wargami) and you will soon start seeing videos of the actual game which hope to be able to start beta testing around February.

Adraeth

Hello folks, Adraeth is here.

I had the pleasure to test the OOB editor and someone of you might remember me as "Adraeth" on Slitherine/Matrix and as "Montecuccoli" on HistWar games  :)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Adraeth on December 20, 2017, 04:09:32 AM
Hello folks, Adraeth is here.

I had the pleasure to test the OOB editor and someone of you might remember me as "Adraeth" on Slitherine/Matrix and as "Montecuccoli" on HistWar games  :)

welcome :)

Dr D Ezra Sidran

The new version of the Army Editor should be going out soon. We haven't made any decisions about how we're distributing all the programs. We're looking at Steam, GOG and others.

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions?