Storium - The Online Story Game (well funded Kickstarter)

Started by skeptical.platypus, April 27, 2014, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeptical.platypus

Boy, if I was confused about Tabletop Simulator, I'm going to have to put on the stupid drool cup for Storium.

I am not exactly sure what this is, but the introductory video is heartfelt and well lit -- and really, do we want more from Kickstarter campaigns?

I have been invited to try this out. I am looking forward to it.

https://storium.com/

The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 27, 2014, 10:11:45 PM
we highlighted in the most recent GARPA

http://grogheads.com/?p=4402

I swear I did a search on "storium" before I posted. I did, I did!

Of course, foolish me. I searched on the forums, not the front page. Someday, I will scoop something somewhere.

Although I guess discovering an 85k pledged of 25k kickstarter is hardly a scoop.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

TheCommandTent

I watched the video and read the page and thought, 'this sounds like a cool idea.'  Then I stopped and thought about it for a minute and realized I didn't actually get what this is I was just suckered in by marketing.....
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

:)

people seem to forget we have a front page sometimes! 
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

weateallthepies

I must have missed this too, thanks. This looks like something a few friends might be interested in trying out.

Looks to be collaberative storytelling/roleplaying via some useful tools, nothing you couldn't do with other tools but this is totally geared towards it.

skeptical.platypus

I am really enjoying Storium. I don't think it has much to do with the actual mechanics or storium itself -- I am really enjoying the merge between collaborating gaming and writing. What storium probably brings to the table is curated content and a fantastic population of narrators and players. I've really been blown away.

I think the Groghead's mention/fyi regarding Storium is pretty spot on. This isn't going to be for everybody, but is going to be pretty cool for some. If you find creating a story as enjoyable as the story itself, you'll enjoy Storium. The quality of writing by both narrators and players varies wildly -- and I have yet to see anyone criticize anybody for their writing. So you shouldn't avoid storium if you think you aren't a good writer, but I do think you have to enjoy writing. There really isn't much else you are actually going to do, other than narrate (write) your responses to (primarily) challenges presented by the narrator.

The beta is closed, but I backed, and I believe I can still invite players to my stories. If anyone is interested in fiddling around, I'd be happy to tell a couple of quick stories. Off the top of my head, I've got an easy peasy milk run for any Shadowrunners and an interesting opportunity to make a buck for any free traders out there.

Let me know if you're interested!