Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Thinking of Charles XII, there is a great story about the one time he met with Marlborough.
Charles had defeated Augustus the Strong of Saxony and was pursuing him into Germany with the whole Swedish army.
This was of great concern to Marlborough because Charles was receiving a lot of financial support from France.  What if he suddenly invaded the Austrian heartland, instead of moving into Saxony?  This coudl upset his strategic aliances.
Well the Duke was nothing, if not self confident.  He went to meet with Charles, while bringing along a HUGE money chest.
Meeting with Charles was easy.  Charles recognized Marlborough as a kindred spirit and one of the greatest generals of the age.  He welcomed the Duke.
After a short time, Marlborough brought up his concern about Charles turning south and attacking his Habsburg ally.  Charles assured him that this was not his intention and he would never do anything so ungentlemanly.  In fact, if it would please the Duke, he'd turn back to Poland and attend to that blackguard Piotr of Russia.
Marlborough complimented Charles on his honor and thanked him for his concern about the Duke's feelings.  Charles did turn around, did not catch and crush Augustus, and the Duke could get back to bashing the French.
And since Charles was such a gentleman, it was beneath the Duke to offer him the money chest as a bribe.  He just kept it as recompense for all his own efforts.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

WallysWorld

Great story, besilarius. Thanks for posting.

This game will probably make me want to re-read Robert Massie's "Peter the Great" and especially the part about the Great Northern War.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

panzerde

Quote from: besilarius on January 23, 2018, 06:42:19 PM
And since Charles was such a gentleman, it was beneath the Duke to offer him the money chest as a bribe.  He just kept it as recompense for all his own efforts.

Which is exactly the sort of thing that Marlborough ended up being known for. One of the greatest generals ever, and possibly the greatest English general ever, but he certainly was fond of the money! The Churchills did end up filthy rich in the end...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Jarhead0331

Its alive...ITS ALIIIVE!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

I'm torn on this one. I love AGEOD games but it is way, way past time for them to move to a new game engine. Not sure I will buy any more on the current engine.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

I'm having problems installing and running...anybody else?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

These things usually start out 'buggy'. I remember.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

WallysWorld

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2018, 01:02:35 PM
I'll be buying this within a day or two, but someone else had an issue installing the game:  Wars of Succession install issue
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Grim.Reaper

will be watching for the feedback.....hopefully enough positive vibes will convince me to give the series another chance:)

Sir Slash

$30 Isn't too bad for a new release.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 25, 2018, 07:35:54 PM
$30 Isn't too bad for a new release.

A new release on an 11 year old game engine.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

True. And month-long turns again. I like two-week turns better. Still, a great time period for a AGEOD game. I wonder if the Turks are involved at all?

Ubercat

That's nobodies business but the Turks.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

MetalDog

But Constantinople was such a good name.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Philthib

Quote from: WallysWorld on January 25, 2018, 05:10:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 25, 2018, 01:02:35 PM
I'll be buying this within a day or two, but someone else had an issue installing the game:  Wars of Succession install issue

Hi WallysWorld

Have you tried to install as Administrator? Right click the exe and "Run as administrator". Also make sure your virus checker is not blocking the install.

I hope this helps.

Regards