The Last Kingdom

Started by bob48, October 16, 2015, 05:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

They seem to have cut quite a bit out.  Where's Steappa, Odda's giant lout?  And the Welsh priest who's name I can't remember.

EDIT: Father Pearlig!  I think that was his name.  And Father Willibald as well.  Did they just omit him and combine his character with Beocca? 

bob48

It looks good, but I think it would be more enjoyable for people who have not read the books. As pointed out above, they do seem to be flying through the story and some interesting characters seem to have been left out.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Hmm.  Sounds like I'm probably better off just sticking with the books, at least at this point.  Thanks fellas.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

The first season is on Netflix, now.

I had missed some of the earlier episodes so never quite followed through last year, wanting to watch them in order.

Enjoying it!   

I see the second season is/has started?

MetalDog

Having decided to go to bed early and watch a little tv before sleep, I put on Netflix to look for something to watch.  I came across The Last Kingdom and it looked interesting.  Now, not having read the books, I can only post my impressions based on what I watched.  And hot DAMN if it wasn't some GREAT television!!  Best I've seen since Sons Of Anarchy went off the air.  Eight episodes was nowhere NEAR enough and I eagerly await the upcoming season.  Can't get here fast enough.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

I found this on the Netflix too...added it to my 75+ show to-watch list.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Put it at the top of the queue.  Watch the first episode.  If that doesn't make you want to immediately watch the other seven episodes, then remove it from the queue entirely.

Steelgrave

The books are so good I've held off on watching the series, but no more. Of course, I just finished Westworld so I'm running a little behind on my binge watching.

MetalDog

I was super bummed to find out that a second season isn't going to happen until this year.  I am hoping it's available on Netflix as soon as it gets done with its BBC run.

Gusington

Well I went to Netflix with every intention of watching it but watched...something else.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2017, 02:19:31 PM
Well I went to Netflix with every intention of watching it but watched...something else.

Did that "something else" end with "hub"???   :coolsmiley:

MetalDog

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 29, 2017, 03:17:35 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2017, 02:19:31 PM

Did that "something else" end with "hub"???   :coolsmiley:

Even if it ended in, "hub," you still did your self disservice.

Gusington

No it was on Netflix. It was...disturbing yet kinda weak at the same time.

Last Kingdom is still in my queue. I just have to get back in to the medieval mood.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Last Kingdom could be just the thing you need then.  Regardless, once you get to it, you'll be glad you did.

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on January 29, 2017, 01:06:32 PM
I was super bummed to find out that a second season isn't going to happen until this year.  I am hoping it's available on Netflix as soon as it gets done with its BBC run.

Seems like it's taking forever.

When does it start running on the Beeb?

I enjoyed this one more than that Vikings fantasy show, but it's not moving along very quickly.