Tribes and Earthsiege games now free!

Started by Shelldrake, October 30, 2015, 09:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Hi-Rez Studios has made all Tribes and Earthsiege games free downloads. I suspect you will need a Win98 rig to run them but the gesture is sure appreciated.

http://www.tribesuniverse.com/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

Looks like the games are all .iso downloads. I'll burn one to disk later and see if it will play on my Win7 box.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

.iso will extract with Winrar, FYI.

I grabbed the "Starsiege and Tribes" from 1998 .iso hoping to get a copy of the original Tribes; which I loved.  I installed it but it was only Starsiege which I never played and it would only do software rendering in a 640x480 box so off it went.

I did enjoy Tribes 2 for quite a while and may grab that .iso.  Not sure if I want to go through with the hunting and installing all the mods that you really need for the hud's/etc. 

Tribes Vengeance was "meh". 

But Tribes Ascend - I just happen to of been playing that for the past few weeks and that is one hoot of a game.  Better than the original Tribes and it has a very activity online community (still).  No mods needed or accepted, just download it and play.  You can purchase a weapon's pack or the GOTY edition to get all the unlocks up front but I'm having fun racking up the points to purchase them during play. 

I played last night until 2:30a.m. which is a *very* rare occasion for me to play a FPS for that long but it was one of those "one more match's!".  I was a juggernaut trying to defend our base.  The bastards would come in and blow up our generator and everything else and I'd try and repair it.  Next I sat outside our base on the side of a hill and bore-sighted my mortar to land right inside the tower where our flag was.  I'd see a "reddie" trying to fly in for a swoop on our flag and I'd plop a mortar round that would hit just as he was making his grab.  I was racking up a bunch of kills but they soon found my hiding spot.  Anyways, fun game and definitely worth checking out for the price.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer