Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

As an old experienced mini's painter, I can verify, beyond any doubt, that you can apply primer with a brush  ;D
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Kushan

I started playing again a few weeks ago. I neber had a tremendous amount of credits but I was able to pick up pretty much where I left off with no real difficulty.

Lots of changes coming in the "Beyond" Season/Series of updates throughout this year. First part of it; trade changes, Chieftan, planet improvements is scheduled to hit beta this week.

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 20, 2018, 04:47:15 PM
Don't let the thargoids get you

Had my first encounter with them on New Years Eve. I ran afoul of 4 of them... Unfortunately I was still carrying Guardian artifacts. 3 of them left, the 4th obliterated my Asp.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2018, 03:32:45 PM
Ok - I was going to stay out of this and let some other hard core Elitist reply - particularly as I wasn't very good at it...but as you've been starved of responses...

I haven't been in it a great deal...not in the last month or so at least. What I do know is when I did last play it for a few days (maybe a couple of months ago?), it was much more enjoyable.

Apart from Horizons and it being (seemingly) easier to trade, I can't say I found it that different or daunting to jump back in after my hiatus. You remember my complete inability to make any money, right? Well, I was able to increase my wealth considerably in those days. So if I was to hazard a guess, trade is either a)easier or b)more plentiful.
F
Either way - when I jumped in I was familiar with everything in short order and enjoyed it.

So jump in - I'm sure you'll find the water fine.  O0

Thanks, JD. Good to know...I'll check it out!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

There was a lot of cash to be made in high value passenger transport a few months ago that wasn't far from an exploit.  I pulled down around a billion in my Anaconda in a few days, but that has been nerfed and dried up. 

As to now, I' haven't played at all since the announcement of the new DLC.  They're going to rework missions and engineers, and that's a really big deal for me.  I finally have a full A-rated Anaconda and a couple of other ships at the A level, so I'm going to hold off until the 3.0 season to really dig back in.  Looking forward to it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I jumped back into this after a very long hiatus. I'm easing my way back in slowly, re-learning keys and operations, while also exploring some of the new features and game mechanics. So much has been added during my time off. It is much easier to make a reasonable living safely now. I've basically made over $10,000,000 traveling less than 9.00LY between two systems running boom data, strategic info and courier jobs. Very low risk and fairly high rewards with frequent bonuses for fast delivery.

I plan on doing some sightseeing on lunar surfaces and then will start to try to figure out new module and component systems. I'm in a python, but I have no idea how it will hold up now in a fight...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2018, 12:09:22 PM
I jumped back into this after a very long hiatus.

Have you used Voice Attack in Elite ?

A few years ago I bought the text-to speech voice Salli (https://harposoftware.com/en/content/12-about-text-to-speech - https://harposoftware.com/en/english-usa/129-salli-american-english-voice.html)
to go with the Speech and Ambient Sound Module for CMANO (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3457871).  (Standard microsoft voice Anna is awful and brakes immersion)

I will probably get a HCS voicepack for Elite (https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/products/astra) but in the meantime I'm having fun using this voice in Voice Attack to make my own command responses.
(In command - When this command executes... - Other - Sounds - Say something text to speech,  I enter the text I want to hear in game after a command is executed).

Jarhead0331

^Negative. I have only used voice attack with DCS. Astra definitely looks interesting though...will check it out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

I'm trying to get back into this after a long break and having the usual struggle to sort all the keymaps out again. One of the new features is the 'Camera Suite' which I cannot figure out at all. There seems to be little or no official instructions on how to set this up.

I was having an issue with my old Saitek X45 Hotas, since Saitek no longer support it and therefore there are no W10 drivers for it. Elite picks up the joystick as 'generic' but not the throttle slider. However, after a bit of fiddling about, it would appear that if I select the controlled as 'Custom' I can indeed bind the controls.

This must rank as one of the most tedious games ever in terms of setting up the controls  :pullhair:

'Clip those corners'

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bob48 on July 11, 2018, 02:29:28 PM

This must rank as one of the most tedious games ever in terms of setting up the controls  :pullhair:

Try the BMS mod for Falcon. Uber tedious, but totally worth it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

I think my brain would melt and trickle out of my ears :-)

'Clip those corners'

Tuna

Quote from: bob48 on July 11, 2018, 02:59:13 PM

Now blame that one the 60's, not the game!

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2018, 02:55:55 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 11, 2018, 02:29:28 PM

Try the BMS mod for Falcon. Uber tedious, but totally worth it.

I'm not brave enough to tackle Falcon. But trying to set up controls for Il-2 Sturmovik BoS drives me insane. The inability to combo buttons is ridiculous. At least Elite gives you this basic option.

bob48

Quote from: Tuna on July 11, 2018, 05:59:25 PM

You could well be right :2funny:

'Clip those corners'

Tuna

Quote from: bob48 on July 12, 2018, 06:32:37 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 11, 2018, 05:59:25 PM

You could well be right :2funny:

I blame the 70s, but I'm younger than you!

bob48

Meh!

Well, I've sorted and mapped out quite a few controls now, but its surprising how much I've forgotten since the last time I played it (almost a year) plus there have been a lot of up-dates and changes to the game.

I'm really pleased that I've got the old X45 combo working again  :)

'Clip those corners'