Victory at Sea - Pacific

Started by FlickJax, June 07, 2018, 04:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

PTO IV looks pretty rad, actually!  Never heard of it.

I would definitely be down for a smart, historically detailed yet manageable Pacific War operational / campaign game. I love -- or maybe I should say, I'm fascinated by -- WitP:AE, but I've never gotten past about May '42 as (for me) the game becomes increasingly unmanageable and time-consuming.  Alas, Hearts of Iron never got PTO right and still hasn't. I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming 'Man the Guns" expansion, with emphasis on "cautious." Pdox has a lot to prove here, but if they can put out something resembling the actual war in the Pacific, I'll be thrilled.

That said, Victory at Sea - Pacific looks very promising, from the glimpse seen here.

Toonces

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 08, 2018, 06:57:52 PM
WitP:AE, but I've never gotten past about May '42 as (for me) the game becomes increasingly unmanageable and time-consuming. 

Same here...just when it actually starts to get interesting for the Allies.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 08, 2018, 06:57:52 PM
PTO IV looks pretty rad, actually!  Never heard of it.

I would definitely be down for a smart, historically detailed yet manageable Pacific War operational / campaign game. I love -- or maybe I should say, I'm fascinated by -- WitP:AE, but I've never gotten past about May '42 as (for me) the game becomes increasingly unmanageable and time-consuming.

There's a scenario that starts with things as they were historically in May '42, but I am doing my best not to play any more WitP:AE.

sandman2575

I thought the May '42 start scenario didn't have AI scripts (for MP only) -?

Anyway, I'm staying away from the never-ending rabbit hole that is WitP:AE as well.

MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on June 08, 2018, 09:56:52 PM
I thought the May '42 start scenario didn't have AI scripts (for MP only) -?

Anyway, I'm staying away from the never-ending rabbit hole that is WitP:AE as well.

That is probably true.  I made a mod and tested it (or so I thought) against something that seemed like the AI ... but maybe it was AI without significant scripting.

Nefaro

So... this is coming out next week. 

Has quite a huge scope.   :nerd:   :dreamer:

Starting to get preview vids of it:

Cougar_DK

MagzTV also have a look:

Price will be $40 with a 10% launch discount.
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

sandman2575

I'm very excited for this. I always liked the concept behind Pacific Storm but felt the game (for a bunch of reasons) never pulled off what it was trying to accomplish.  This looks like it could be a lot more successful -- at least, I hope it will be.

rocketman

This game seems to hit a lot of soft spots for me. Could be a real winner. Like the scale but also the option to go into details. And that you can alter the speed of time. Interface seems pretty straight forward too.

RyanE

Just bought it.  It is missing many features from VoS.  No skirmish, no custom, no historical battles, and no comment from the devs on it.  Only one campaign available.  Its the US one until you finish it and then the others are unlocked.  I hate devs that lock content like that.  Let me play the game I want.

Very annoying.  Will set it aside until scenarios and UK campaign are available.

Edit:  It was stated by another player that the Japanese campaign is not complete yet.  That is why its locked.  There is some question if the Brit campaign is even going to be available near term.  This seems more like an early access to me.

sandman2575

Quote from: RyanE on September 14, 2018, 05:14:54 PM
Edit:  It was stated by another player that the Japanese campaign is not complete yet.  That is why its locked.  There is some question if the Brit campaign is even going to be available near term.  This seems more like an early access to me.

Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's quite ready for prime time.  That is disappointing.   :(

I would have assumed that the features available in Victory at Sea, like skirmish etc., would be in VaS Pacific. It sounds like there's no guarantee those will be added - ??

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

RyanE

Supposedly the devs stated somewhere that all this content will be coming soon in patches.  Funny thing is I started up the original VAS and played for an hour .  I really like the scenarios.

Grim.Reaper

Glad others tried this first....I was cautious spending $35 on this at the moment and sounds like things are a bit incomplete and up in the air.  I did purchase the old version recently so will give that a try and see if I even like the game system.

Rayfer

Another excellent 30 minute YouTube video detailing the various game features.  This game appears to be quite deep, complex and allows for micro-management should one desire to do so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-GXmtyuEDw