Steampunk Battleships in the Sky?

Started by Jarhead0331, September 05, 2012, 04:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

I dunno, but the title alone gave me an inappropriate, spontaneous male reaction  8)

Capn Darwin

I was about a year and a half ago when they were doing demos. Now I'm 5 weeks from XCOM Enemy Unknown dominating my free time for the rest of the year. That being said, it is a very cool looking game with some neat game mechanics. Maybe for Christmas or my birthday.  8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

TheCommandTent

I am sure Gus will be along shortly to drool all over this thread. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 05, 2012, 05:27:55 PM
I am sure Gus will be along shortly to drool all over this thread. :)

I'd be lying if I said I did not conspicuously put "steampunk" in the tread title to attract his attention.  He's like a moth to the flame when it comes to that word.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

BOING!

I actually have seen this game system before and posted about it here. When I first found it, I thought it was going to be a PC game. AFAIK it's not...yet. I don't know enough about it to say if it can be played solo but I don't think so.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sunflare

This is a really good game so far.  I picked up the core box and both the British and the French fleet boxes at GenCon.  After having first heard about it at GenCon 5 years ago its been a very long time in coming out, but its great to finally see it.

The idea behind the game was to create a semi serious naval game set in a alternate 1910.  They wanted to make it easy to learn and remove as many "wargame" items that tend to intimidate new comers to the game.  Its all hex based....no measuring needed.  All the info you need for each ship is on a single card.  Most importantly there are no charts, tables, or other modifiers a player needs to  play and the ships come prepainted.  I taught this game to some local guys I game with in about 15 minutes.  So far there are only the Brits and the French to play with and the advanced rules which will introduce elevation is not out yet.  With the core box you get a battleship, a cruiser, and 2 destroyers for each side.  Enough so you can play right out of the box.  All the components are top notch and the detail on the ships is fantastic.  You play by rolling initiative, firing torpedoes, then moving ships starting with battleships for each side the work you way down in size to the destroyers, and then resolving torpedoes.  After this comes shooting and all combat is simultaneous so if you go boom you can still shoot.  Combat is done using custom weighted 12 sided dice that are color coded and match the ship cards.  Last you do repairs and cross off damaged areas on your ships.

The only problem I see is their ability to keep putting out new stuff and keep people interested.  They are already 4 years behind their original release date and they just fired their printer for this game and are looking for a new one after only one print run.  If they can keep pumping out new content and fix their production issues then this game should do well.

LongBlade

Thanks for the insight, Sunflare.

I hit Dystopian Wars instead of Leviathans. Spartan Games has done a great job of pumping out sculpts. I think a minis game is more dynamic than this. And while I'd love to try it, I think I've done alright sticking with DW.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sunflare

I played DW with some friends and could not like it.  The game play was very slow and turns took forever to get through.  I also did not like how units had special abilties. The sculpts were nice, but need to be prepainted for me.  ;). Also the theme, though steam punk, was a little to far out there for me.  The flying robots were a turn off.......the whole ground component was a turn off.  Leviathans plays a lot quicker, and is more like a traditional naval game.  I love traditional naval games.  Note the avatar..... USS Colorado mid 1920's.

LongBlade

Quote from: Sunflare on October 15, 2012, 10:21:43 AM
I played DW with some friends and could not like it.  The game play was very slow and turns took forever to get through.  I also did not like how units had special abilties. The sculpts were nice, but need to be prepainted for me.  ;). Also the theme, though steam punk, was a little to far out there for me.  The flying robots were a turn off.......the whole ground component was a turn off.  Leviathans plays a lot quicker, and is more like a traditional naval game.  I love traditional naval games.  Note the avatar..... USS Colorado mid 1920's.

Sorry you didn't like it.

Last year I was into it pretty heavy, but kinda burned out. Not sure why. I do love the minis, but I like steampunk.

There's a new tactical game they're working on. I'm hoping that one is good.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.