Windows 8 taskbar / window edges all red (fixed - thanks!)

Started by bayonetbrant, December 05, 2017, 08:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I think Windows 8 is trying to give my wife some sort of warning on her machine

The taskbar is a partially-opaque red, as are all the window edges around her apps

Security warning perhaps?

She's run her McAfee scan and made sure all her security is up to date

We've rebooted 2x during that process

Every time I try to look it up myself on The Goog, all I'm getting are "helpful" hints about how to change the background color on something

I don't do Windows, so I don't know where to find any other info on this other than asking for help.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Could be a video card or display problem starting.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

I don't think anything is wrong . It does sound like the colour scheme for her windows has been changed.... try changing the colour scheme to some other colour. If everything stays red then worry but I'm guessing it won't...

bayonetbrant

OK thanks - will try changing color scheme and report back
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Maybe worth running Malwarebytes or something similar?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

looks like it was all color scheme-related.

What had my wife freaked out was that Windows also gave her a pop-up message about the KRACK wifi attack vulnerability right before she noticed the red window edges.

Turns out that we already had the Windows update for the KRACK issue installed, so no idea why Windows would've given her that popup today, but it freaked her out, and I couldn't find any useful info online