Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

All right, let's keep tally of where the vote is:

Plutocrats 9 + 4 knights; plus Conservatives 11 + 3 knights = 27 votes pro.

Tripoli posted in by p-mail, since he was going to be afk (and didn't realize the Frog had specifically called no voting order, so was setting up his vote for when it got around to him).

The Militarists vote con!

Net votes so far are 27 - 9 = 18 votes for. There are potentially 37 against remaining, so the vote is still very much in the air.

However, in effect if Aristocrats or Populists vote 'for', then that will swing the vote solidly into a majority. (If my math is correct. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

malize

JasonPratt

Net +18, + 15 = net 33 votes for, leaving only 22 votes potentially remaining against, and that's the majority.

Plutocrat Statesman Appius Claudius becomes the Republic's first Censor!  <:-) Personal influence goes up +4 from 9 to 13; Faction Influence up to 28.

Appius Claudius now temporarily becomes the Presiding Magistrate -- so the Frog now must choose whether to launch trials against anyone. Appius can bring EITHER one Major OR up to two Minor suspicions to trial. Or investigate no one. (Note that Major suspicions can also be investigated as Minors instead.)

Current targets include everyone who had a major office when the Senate started, and/or with Concessions that have paid off since the end of the prior Senate. Thus:

Valerius of the Aristocrats -- Major and one Minor suspicion.
Cornelius of the Aristocrats -- one Minor suspicion.

Julius of the Militarists -- one Minor suspicion.

Acilius of the Plutocrats -- Major suspicion.

Pontifex Maxiums Fabius of the Conservatives -- Major suspicion.
Papirius of the Conservatives -- Major suspicion.

Aurelius of the Populists -- one Minor suspicion.

Plautius of the Progressives -- two Minor suspicions. (He has two Concessions that triggered.)

Once the Prosecution segment ends (one way or another), all suspicions are removed. They don't stack if unprosecuted.

Be aware that Major Prosecutions are a life-threatening event, and can backfire badly on the Censor and/or his Prosecutor.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Once Prosecution has been finished (one way or another), the Presidency will revert back to Fulvius, i.e. the Frog again.

At that point, the Mandatory Business for this Turn will be done.

Useful Other Business will include possibly raising more Legions; possibly disbanding some Legions; and possibly Deploying some Legions with the Field Consul Cincinnatus to go fight the Aequians. (Cinc has to be deployed first, or together with Fulv, and deploying Fulvius at all would be counter-productive in this case.)

Ethel the Frog

A million apologies for the delay.  Work blew up, but the storm is passed now. And I will be more timely. 

I will not prosecute. 

JasonPratt

The Presiding Magistrate post goes back to Fulvius, which means back to the Frog again.

Now it's time to work up proposals for possibly raising more Legions (or maybe waiting a little while); and/or possibly sending out Cinc to squish the Aequians.

Also, btw, I was gone for 10 hours today myself, so I couldn't check in either.

Ethel the Frog

Okay, so we have only one war pending.  I have not really sorted out how to evaluate our chances in that war, but Cincinatus is going to go fight it, I assume since he is the other Consul. 

Without calculating odds of success I am thinking to raise one legion, but would like to hear if anyone has a different suggestion.  (What are our odds if we raise no legions? Is that even an option?) 

Ethel the Frog

Found the war rules: 

"1.) Wars don't ever attack Rome directly, including this one (well, not in this game anyway). But they'll cost money each turn they stay active, and if you let them sit around too long they may 'team up' with other Wars of the same 'family' and become that much harder to stop.

2.) This war has a strength equal to 2 Legions (that's the 2 in the lower right corner), plus one more Legion's strength thanks to Tarqy (that's the +1 on his card).

3.) When the time comes to fight the War -- all fighting happens automatically as I roll and do calcs -- you'll be totaling a 3d6 roll, to which you'll subtract the enemy strength and add your Force's strength. You want the total to be 14 or better. If it's 18 or more, then you win with no losses, which is the ideal result.

4.) Every war has a basic strength which it will always have for as long as it's active. Later in the game, some Wars can pick up auxiliary strength which can be whittled away. And sometimes you can manage to randomly kill the Enemy Leader which will permanently remove the bonus strength to his War(s), even if his War continues on.

What this means is that almost always any losses suffered will be the Republic's.

5.) There are five possible results to the combat roll:

5.1.) Defeat, on a total of <=7. In this case any of your surviving Legions will return to the Active Pool, and any surviving senators at the War will return to Rome (specifically to the mats for each Player). However the senator commanding the attack will die. Unrest immediately jumps +2. Depending on the level of Defeat, you may lose x number of units in your Force.

5.2.) Disaster, on a total of the specific black square number for the card, replaced by the black square number on the leader's card. Tarqy scores a disaster if you total a 7. You lose 50% of your Force rounded up, and Unrest jumps +1. But your army (if anything is left) stays in the field.

5.3.) Standoff, on a total of the specific gray square number on the card, replaced by the grey square of the leader. Tarqy scores a Standoff on a total of 14 (which would normally be a victory for you!) You lose 25% of your Force rounded up, but no Unrest, and your army (if anything is left) stays in the field.

5.4.) Stalemate on a total from 8 to 13. Your army stays in the field, and loses x number of units depending on the exact result.

5.5.) Victory on a total of 14 or higher (unless the War or its Leader supersedes that with a Standoff result!) The War discards, and the Leader goes to the Curia, while your surviving Legions and their commanders go home (though they won't arrive home until the Forum Phase next turn). There are some other possible results depending on circumstances (getting to loot spoils, and maybe the Leader permanently discards), and you could still lose x-number of units depending on the exact roll."

JasonPratt

Okay, well, you've got 7 Legions already Active. There are potentially 3 more Legions which could be raised from the Force Pool. If you raise one more, you'll have 8 active Legions.

The Republic currently has 107 Talents in its Treasury, and a 40 Talent basic income. So you've got far more than enough cash to safely raise the remaining 3 Legions from the Force Pool -- but you might not need to yet.

Cinc has a Mil skill of 5, so if he brings 7 Legions to stomp the Aequians, he's going to have a 7+5=12-2= 10 point adjustment to the combat dice roll.

I haven't had to show the combat results table in a while, so here it is again for convenience:

If Cinc brings the current 7 legions, then any roll total from 8 upward will be an absolute victory with no losses to Rome. All other possible results will also be victories, with increasingly unlikely chances of hard losses but nothing more than 4; except for a freakishly minimum chance of a Stalemate with no losses. Cinc voids any Disaster or Standoff roll for this War, so those won't be a worry.

Basically he's going to win, and mostly likely with no losses, even if you don't raise more Legions this turn.

Tripoli

Isn't there a chance that we will get an event that will make it difficult to raise more legions?  If so, should be raise extra legions now (the upkeep is only 2talents/turn), rather than risk either losses or the possibility that we couldn't raise additional legions next turn?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Ethel the Frog

Oh.  Then, I think we don't need any given that the mighty Cincinatus is going to handle the war.  I will give people time to respond, and will call a vote late afternoon tomorrow California time.  The vote will have no order.  I don't think I will have easy access to this web site tomorrow, so would be inclined to call the vote by informing Jason on Google Hangouts, if that's acceptable. 

JasonPratt

Yes, it's possible to roll a random Manpower Shortage, which adds cost to forming new Legions for a Turn. There's an 11.57% chance of that (due to rolling a total of 12 on a 3d6) multiplied by the chance of rolling a 2d6=7 (which leads to a 3d6 roll for a Random Event) which is 16.67%. Thus you have a 16.67% chance of an 11.57% chance of rolling a Manpower Shortage.

So .1157 * .1667 = 1.929% chance of rolling a Manpower Shortage on each Player's Forum round.

Take the absolute value of 1-minus-that, and you have a 98.7013% of not rolling it on any given Player round. However, the chance of not rolling it on any given turn is that probability times itself 6 times (for 6 players), or that probability to the power of 6.

That comes out to a 92.456(ish ;) ) percent chance of no Manpower shortage on any given Turn. (Or not from that source; you can roll an MS result from bad Popularity, too.)

Note that once you leave the Italian Era, the random event table changes (and for each of the Provincial Eras). I'd have to check whether the chances are better or worse, but that won't happen for a while.

JasonPratt

So, what are the opportunity costs if bad luck triggers a 7.54% chance of rolling a Manpower Shortage event next Turn?

Legions would, for one Turn, cost 20 Talents to raise instead of 10.

Each additional ManpowShort... let's call that a Gus, for short.  8) Each additional Gus adds another 10 Talents to the cost, but you can see that the odds of rolling more than one Gus each Turn are increasingly small. (Not that the odds themselves change, but it's even-less-likely that you'll roll 2; and even-more-less-likely that you'll roll 3 Gusses; etc.)