Windows 10 laptop issues

Started by BanzaiCat, May 20, 2018, 07:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Anyone here have some possible fixes for the following?

Had a storm come through and somehow it disconnected the connection it had with the router. It would not reconnect, even though the router was fine and other devices worked fine on it. Rebooted the laptop and it reconnected, but then several other issues have been happening:

- When Microsoft Edge is opened, it immediately closes.
- Can't type anything in the 'Type here to search' bar at the bottom (it won't even display a cursor)
- Tried accessing the Settings window to check some things out, but that window closes after about 5 seconds. I can get about a level or two in before it does that but I can't get anything to launch in it.

I've no idea what the heck is up with this thing and dicked around with it for at least an hour.

It's not my laptop so I've no real feel for it anyway. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

bayonetbrant

is there a way to reboot Win 10 in "safe" mode and troubleshoot from there?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Yeah, it sounds like some files might've gotten corrupted. Try resetting to a previous restore point if possible.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Thanks for the feedback. Was able to finally navigate to a system restore point, but fat lot of good it did. Still having the same issues.

I wouldn't know what to do with it once I got into safe mode regardless. Guess it's time for a new laptop.

bbmike

^Now isn't that what all of this was really about?  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on May 21, 2018, 12:37:04 PM
^Now isn't that what all of this was really about?  :-"

it's his wife's, not his.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 21, 2018, 12:06:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Was able to finally navigate to a system restore point, but fat lot of good it did. Still having the same issues.

have you tried a different browser just to see if it's an Edge-specific problem?  I mean, if you can get online w/ Chrome, then who cares if Edge sucks cyanide?

BanzaiCat

I don't think she has Chrome, but her issue is all her bookmarks and such are saved in Edge.

I know there's a Favorites folder under users and that can be copied, but saved passwords and such not so much.

The whole thing might be bricked for all I know. I'll futz with it some more later tonight.

mirth

Wipe it and restore from back-up.

NM :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

No idea what she's done with the CDs. That occurred to me as well but no joy.