From Russia With Love GB (Su-27SM)

Started by JudgeDredd, January 16, 2016, 02:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Primer provides a rough surface for the paint to adhere.  Models and minis should be washed to remove residue left over from the molding prices.  This left over residue and a smooth surface are more likely to cause issues with the paint than I think a little finger grease unless he's using his model as a napkin to wipe his hands on while eating fried chicken.

JudgeDredd

If you look at the bottom of page 5, it shows where the masking tape took some paint off the model. That particular part of the model is the handy part to hold and gets a lot of holding.

Now that was probably down to touching the bare plastic there and not cleaning the model prior to laying paint on it - so I may not suffer the same problems with primer being down - but I was worried it might happen again especially as I'm going to be putting tape down again for the camo pattern

Anyway - thank you - advice taken.

I am actually thinking about taking the paint off and starting again. I know that will be a pain, but there are "ridges" where I tried that digital pattern camo before and failed.
Alba gu' brath

Bison

I'm not seeing where the paint came off the model.  Are you talking about the jet with the black primer?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 08:36:41 AM
I'm not seeing where the paint came off the model.  Are you talking about the jet with the black primer?
Page 5 of this thread...at the bottom of that page
Alba gu' brath

Bison

We all have different page counts on threads.  This is the bottom of page 5 for me.  :D

JudgeDredd

Really? I would never have thought that.

Anyway...this

Alba gu' brath

Bison

Ah...now I see the issue.  Yeah I'd think that was just a combination of a residue under the primer layer and the tape pulling the primer off of the model.  That is annoying though, but should be a relatively easy fix.  Maybe your camo design will help cover any irregularity in layering.

undercovergeek

I'm a dedicated JD fan, I'll read about your modelling, your skill for cocking up a game and flat refusal to read the manual, your new game crack habit but having read your most recent posts on this model matey it genuinely sounds like you don't want to finish it, that it's going to an arsehole to complete at the cost of doing another one you'd enjoy

I'm all for the never give up attitude, but this is your hobby to relax, to get away from it and actually enjoy - if this one is going to be such a ball breaker put it away and start another, I don't think there's a sentimentality to it (JD junior didn't buy this one did she?)

I don't think it'd be defeatist to move onto a project you'll look forward to completing

Bison

Firecrackers always add excitement to ending a project prematurely.

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 11:58:55 AM
Firecrackers always add excitement to ending a project prematurely.

QFT!  :D

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 10:50:57 AM
Ah...now I see the issue.  Yeah I'd think that was just a combination of a residue under the primer layer and the tape pulling the primer off of the model.  That is annoying though, but should be a relatively easy fix.  Maybe your camo design will help cover any irregularity in layering.
Well - it's fixed now in the sense that the primer is now down.

But as I've handled the model, I didn't want the camo being picked off the primer as happened above. But I think you're right - it probably wouldn't happen now there's a solid layer of primer down.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 17, 2017, 11:56:49 AM
I'm a dedicated JD fan, I'll read about your modelling, your skill for cocking up a game and flat refusal to read the manual, your new game crack habit but having read your most recent posts on this model matey it genuinely sounds like you don't want to finish it, that it's going to an arsehole to complete at the cost of doing another one you'd enjoy

I'm all for the never give up attitude, but this is your hobby to relax, to get away from it and actually enjoy - if this one is going to be such a ball breaker put it away and start another, I don't think there's a sentimentality to it (JD junior didn't buy this one did she?)

I don't think it'd be defeatist to move onto a project you'll look forward to completing
Shucks - you have my number mate  ;D

No - there's no sentimental value here. You are correct - it has been an arse and I do have other splendid models to make, not least

• Space 1999 Eagle
  • Tamiya Tiger
  • Tamiya Leopard 1
  • New Starship Enterprise
  • OS Starship Enterprise

Thing is though, I don't really want to give up on it. It's just going to be an awkward finish. All I really have to do is

• Clean the model for painting
  • Paint the model and the missiles
  • Stick the undercarriage and the missiles on
  • Put the decals on

It's just I've assembled it in such a way that it will be awkward to paint - but the damn thing is almost done. I'm also scared that if I dump it, it will become easy to dump models when I get bored.

Besides, it's a beautiful looking aircraft. It'd be a crying shame not to complete it.

I will say this though. I will research in future and not just buy cheap because cheap almost always means "old mould" and those are difficult.

I need to do it.

But thank you for your support  :hug:
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I also admire JD's drive to get it finished.   :bd:

Although if it were a manual he'd chuck it in a heartbeat and start cursing.   :))

JudgeDredd

lol - I love manuals  :smitten:

There's just no point in actually reading them because I'm very forgetful and it takes me about 6 months to read a book I'm actually interested in.

I do use them as reference when I can be arsed
Alba gu' brath