Retro Me262 COMPLETE!!!

Started by JudgeDredd, May 02, 2015, 04:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

My daughter bought me a 1/72 scale Airfix Me262 for Christmas. She knew I made models with my dad as I've spoke about it before and she thought it would be nice if she could get me an older model.

I have no idea how she knew - maybe it was just luck - but she did actually manage to get me a very old (70s - 80s) model from a market.

I already had a 1/72 scale Hasegawa Me262 waiting to be made - but haven't got round to it. Anyway - I was thinking about making the one she bought me but when I opened the box, I just can't seem to make myself want to do it. It's a piece of history. A memory of me and my dad...a fond one. Once it's made, it's made.

Anyway - this is the retro Airfix model

And this is new newer Hasegawa model

Alba gu' brath

bob48

If it were me, I'd keep the Airfix one in the box out of pure nostalgia.

My dad used to make stuff with me as well. First one he ever did was the Airfix Spitfire.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

I understand the feeling but to me models, like games, were meant to be enjoyed not saved for posterity. All of my board games have been punched and played at least once. I have large-ish collection but it's not fer show. Same as my 25 year old Miata. It's got 120,000+ kms on the odometer. I take care of it but it's meant to be driven.

So all that to say build the damn model and maybe put yer Dad's name near the cockpit in honour.

:)

Con

I like that you laid it out on another oldish game B-17 queen of the skies.  Somehow fitting on a lot of different levels

Con

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Barthheart on May 02, 2015, 04:45:32 PM

So all that to say build the damn model and maybe put yer Dad's name near the cockpit in honour.

:)

Agreed!!  O0
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

W8taminute

That is a very smart girl you have there JD.  Have you built any models with her?  I'm wondering if so maybe I could try to do that with my daughters.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JudgeDredd

Well - thanks for the replies.

I spoke to her last night and explained why I didn't want to make it and she was cool with it. She understood. I was gobsmacked at the instructions and it brought memories flooding back.

However - having read the replies I think perhaps I could go one better. Perhaps I could not only make it the best I can, but maybe I'll frame the instructions to sit on the wall behind it and maybe even do a little diorama for it - with my dads name on it.

So I don't know yet - I might.....I might not.

Con

Yeah I'm looking at giving B-17 Queen of the Skies a go this weekend. I didn't even think of the significance of the model and the game...but it's there for all to see.

W8taminute
You know what. I never have. I have done with my younger daughter when she was about 10 (she's now 14) - she built a Spitfire - but not my eldest that I can recall because I wasn't into modelling then and about 5 years ago when I started again, Megan (my eldest) was as Cathryn is now - 13-14 and not interested.

If your kids are young enough - give it a go...but if they're about 12 or more, they may not show much enthusiasm. Both my kids understand my love for the hobby (stress free, passes a Sunday afternoon away, being creative) but they're of the age now where such things are not in their desires to partake in.
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Make one as a Schwalbe and the other as a Sturmvogel  :)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

You could make one of them up as Me262A1 " Screamin' Meemie", a captured example used in flight testing by the USA:

You can even get a decal set!

http://www.fineartofdecals.com/goodies/148-treasures-axis/

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Well - this is it started.

As if to prove it's from the dark ages, it's fitting is pretty poor and it's got raised panel lines. I think I'm going to leave the gaps so that I can remember how poor the machining was back in the day

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Right...well...I've picked this up again.

I was originally not going to fill it - to keep it "the way it was" - but I've decided to go ahead and fill it.

Now it's something that's new to me. I've never done filling before (or not a lot) so I'm not great at it and I don't have a plethora of sanders...but I thought it'd be worth filling those huge gaps.

Next up will be primer. I'm still really nervous about this because I'm not great with my airbrush. I don't know what's the matter with me...I've watched a shed load of videos to pick up little snippets and techniques and I just can't seem to use that damn thing properly. I upgraded from my very cheap airbrush that was giving me jip to a reasonable Harder Steinbeck Ultra...and still I'm crap.

Anyway - photos will follow (eventually!) and I'll be judged by you lot  :)

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Whew!  That looks like it was a lot of extra work.   Looks better already, though.  There were a LOT of gaps before.

mirth

Coming along nicely, JD.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

you're a brave man JD.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

I don't really like the putty I'm using...it goes off really quick and therefore goes on thicker than I'd like. I've ordered some different stuff.

The model is a prime example of how bad tooling used to be...but I think it'll cover up well with primer
Alba gu' brath