Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Dude, why are your pix always upside down or sideways?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

I honestly dont have a clue. 
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Did you take that pic with an iPad, Star?  I only ask because my father has the same problem (pictures always appearing sideways/upside-down). 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on February 02, 2015, 01:34:00 PM
Made Texas white wings and a bacon wrapped lobster tail for last night.  They didnt last long enough for an after picture.
Gods, those look good.  They're making me hungry again (and I just ate)! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Took em with my samsung phone.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Barthheart

Thanksgiving dinner last night, Cornish hens on the BBQ rotisserie, roasted beets and carrots from our garden, and wild rice. Followed by pumpkin pie and hand made whipped cream.  :)

Barthheart

Casual Saturday night dinner on the back deck.  :)

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

I grilled a London broil this week.

Marinade was:
2 inches of sliced ginger
1/4 red onion in one inch cubes
6 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of cilantro
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

Put all of the non-liquids in a food processor and turned them into a light paste.  Then combined all of the marinade ingredients into a 1 gallon ziplock bag.  Put in the London Broil (about 1&1/2 inch thick).  Marinated it for about 12 hours turning it once.

Grilling:
My wife gave me a very heavy steel grill this summer.  I preheated all three gas burners for 10 minutes with the lid closed.  Then seared the meat for 4 minutes on one side in the center of the grill.  Turned off the center burner and turned the other two burners down to medium.  Cooked for an additional 13 minutes - about 6.5 minutes on a side in the center.  Took it off and let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.

On my grill this made it a medium.  We prefer rare to medium rare, so I'll adjust the preheat time for the next attempt.  My grill reached 600 degrees during cooking because the metal is so heavy and retains the heat so strongly.

The taste was excellent.  Garlic, cilantro and soy/ginger were the strongest tastes in the marinade.

bayonetbrant

I know where I'm stopping next time I pass thru Alabama.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

For Christmas I grilled lamb chops. 

I made a paste of ground garlic (from the glass jar from the grocery store) and a quarter of a teaspoon of dried rosemary.  Ground that up into a paste.  Then I added a quarter of a cup of olive oil.  I had six lamb chops.  I grilled them about 350 basting and turning them every two minutes for a total of 8 minutes.  They were very good.  My wife made a green bean casserole, squash casserole, sister Shubert rolls (grocery store).  She microwaved white potatoes for her and the nephew and a sweet potato for me.  Everything turned out very well.

Martok

Damn, airboy.  I just finished eating supper a little over an hour ago, but reading that is almost making me hungry again... 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

Quote from: Martok on December 27, 2016, 02:53:43 PM
Damn, airboy.  I just finished eating supper a little over an hour ago, but reading that is almost making me hungry again...

My wife's present of a moderately expensive gas grill was a baseball glove for both of us.  I've also been reading cookbooks for the first time in my life.

Barthheart

With my wife away for a couple of weeks, I get to make some dinners that she doesn't like.

Tonight it was fresh mussels in vermouth sauce.
1lb of mussels, some chopped onion, chopped green onion, thick cut prosciutto, 2/3 cups of white wine, 1/4 cup of vermouth, 1 cup of heavy cream and 3 tbsp of butter. Paired with a fresh bake demi-baguette and some cold white wine.

The aftermath shrapnel.... man am I stuffed.  O0

Bison

Nice.  I just had mussels last night for dinner.  Tonight its grilled chicken with an asparagus veggie side. 

Barthheart

Sounds good. Have you ever tried grilling the asparagus? Little olive oil, little sea salt. Grill for about 5-10 minutes depending how done you like it. Make sure grill is very hot to get nice grill marks.