IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on July 20, 2018, 09:27:53 PM

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37499-developer-diary-part-195-discussion/?page=4
On this page Jason confirms they do not have the time or resources to make infantry. So unfortunately this tank simulator is rather like a flight simulator with fighters and no bombers. 
What you essentially have is a fish bowl style simulator. Rather than a combat simulation you literally have the ability to drive around and shoot other vehicles in a vacuum. For $107 Australian I am amazed that they don't have the resources. I think they would get many more people on board if they did have infantry even as an addon. Perhaps we should lobby for an addon product that includes properly modelled infantry? Never going to happen right?

I'm not sure how he is defining "infantry"...I'm playing Tank Crew now, and I find groups of men moving around on the battlefield. They seem to be disembarking from trucks and APCs, or abandoning AT guns, artillery and destroyed tanks. They may not be "infantry" in the traditional sense, but its highly immersive, so I really don't care what you call them. Also, its not just shooting vehicles in a vacuum. I'm not really sure why you think this. You've obviously played IL-2 from the aerial perspective, no? Does it look like the land war is just in a vacuum from the air? No...it doesn't feel that way from the ground either. APCs, Artillery, towed weapons, light, medium and heavy armor, aviation and men are all moving and fighting. I really don't see what you are so disappointed about. I've played War Thunder and I can tell you Tank Crew blows it out of the water.

For my money. "Tank Crew" apart from the tank interiors, seems to offer the same experience to me as war thunder and post scriptum do. The only differences I can see are a few support vehicles like AT guns and transports. The latest il2 has a reputation for being a "light" simulator anyways that is not too far from war thunder with a little more to learn to take off. I suspect the same "cherry picking" will be applied to the tank game. This is even though considering they did a whole flight simulator, at the same price which is a much more complex undertaking. They don't seem to have the "resources" to do this tank simulator if it involves developing new things in the engine.

Again, I'm not really sure why there is confusion here...mostly seems to be from Jason's part, maybe because of the language barrier? They are using a third-party developer to build the tank exteriors and interiors and they are making a map from scratch specifically for the tank battles, so I don't see any issue involving resources.

All I can say is, I'm playing TC in VR and I absolutely love it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Again...its not the easiest to install and get setup, but its totally worth it if you're looking for WWII ground combat with tanks, support and infantry.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: RyanE on July 20, 2018, 08:11:03 PM
I didn't notice if this had been posted...

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/38073-update-and-resolution-to-deactivated-steam-key-issue/

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2018, 08:29:56 PM
Quote from: RyanE on July 20, 2018, 08:11:03 PM
I didn't notice if this had been posted...

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/38073-update-and-resolution-to-deactivated-steam-key-issue/

Wow! JD...looks like you are back in business!  :coolsmiley:

woah!! That's great news. Unfortunately, I got a refund so I don't think I'll be on the receiving end.

However, this action has gone some way to restoring my faith in them and perhaps, just perhaps, they'll find their way to my wallet.

Thanks for the news.  O0

I would like to add that whilst I (as many) were accused of thieving their product - something I am not sure of nor anyone else could/did provide evidence of - it would be absolutely wrong of me to fill in their support form and get the game from them - being as I have had a refund. So that's something I won't do because I would be knowingly stealing their product.

But I may well buy it again. I'll see. It depends on how far away a DCS sale is
Alba gu' brath

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2018, 10:18:31 PM

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/37499-developer-diary-part-195-discussion/?page=4
On this page Jason confirms they do not have the time or resources to make infantry. So unfortunately this tank simulator is rather like a flight simulator with fighters and no bombers. 
What you essentially have is a fish bowl style simulator. Rather than a combat simulation you literally have the ability to drive around and shoot other vehicles in a vacuum. For $107 Australian I am amazed that they don't have the resources. I think they would get many more people on board if they did have infantry even as an addon. Perhaps we should lobby for an addon product that includes properly modelled infantry? Never going to happen right?

I'm not sure how he is defining "infantry"...I'm playing Tank Crew now, and I find groups of men moving around on the battlefield. They seem to be disembarking from trucks and APCs, or abandoning AT guns, artillery and destroyed tanks. They may not be "infantry" in the traditional sense, but its highly immersive, so I really don't care what you call them. Also, its not just shooting vehicles in a vacuum. I'm not really sure why you think this. You've obviously played IL-2 from the aerial perspective, no? Does it look like the land war is just in a vacuum from the air? No...it doesn't feel that way from the ground either. APCs, Artillery, towed weapons, light, medium and heavy armor, aviation and men are all moving and fighting. I really don't see what you are so disappointed about. I've played War Thunder and I can tell you Tank Crew blows it out of the water.

For my money. "Tank Crew" apart from the tank interiors, seems to offer the same experience to me as war thunder and post scriptum do. The only differences I can see are a few support vehicles like AT guns and transports. The latest il2 has a reputation for being a "light" simulator anyways that is not too far from war thunder with a little more to learn to take off. I suspect the same "cherry picking" will be applied to the tank game. This is even though considering they did a whole flight simulator, at the same price which is a much more complex undertaking. They don't seem to have the "resources" to do this tank simulator if it involves developing new things in the engine.

Again, I'm not really sure why there is confusion here...mostly seems to be from Jason's part, maybe because of the language barrier? They are using a third-party developer to build the tank exteriors and interiors and they are making a map from scratch specifically for the tank battles, so I don't see any issue involving resources.

All I can say is, I'm playing TC in VR and I absolutely love it.

Do you have any screenshots of said infantry? I would love to see them.
When I say infantry I do not mean crew but rather infantry that act in the infantry role moving with your tank forces or fighting against your tank. I realise there are at gun crew and the like.
As for playing il2 from the air. The ground war looks like I would expect a traditional flight simulator from the air should look. A few odd emplacements or convoys, maybe a train. On the ground I expect it to be ramped up somewhat.

Do you know if they plan to have tank crew inside the tanks? How many tanks do you work with at a time?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on July 21, 2018, 04:39:57 AM

Do you have any screenshots of said infantry? I would love to see them.

I'll take some.

When I say infantry I do not mean crew but rather infantry that act in the infantry role moving with your tank forces or fighting against your tank. I realise there are at gun crew and the like.

This probably is not in the game, nor will it be in the game. Again, you are describing something that you can get from Steel Fury 1942 with the STA mod I've linked to. Not sure what you're waiting for. Its a fantastic game modded correctly.

Do you know if they plan to have tank crew inside the tanks?

Dunno. I hope so.

How many tanks do you work with at a time?

I've only played one scenario. I like it so much, I keep going back to it. However, in that scenario, you are in a Pz VI spearheading a support company. The company has at least a platoon of Pz IIIs, looks like a platoon, or more of Sd. Kfz. 251s and a platoon of Sd.Kfz. 7/1 20mm Flak guns. Its a pretty formidable force.

Remember, it is very early in development. I'm already extremely impressed, but I do expect it to improve drastically. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

These two shots are from the beginning of a mission in the STA mod. We're just about to assault a hill. This is what you are looking for in a tank sim, yes?  :coolsmiley:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2018, 09:37:21 AM
These two shots are from the beginning of a mission in the STA mod.

I find the STA mod 3.3 is only available by donation.  Do you happen to know who much this donation is ?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 21, 2018, 10:39:22 AM

I find the STA mod 3.3 is only available by donation.  Do you happen to know who much this donation is ?

Yes. You'll need to be pay $15EUR for the base mod v3.2 and then another $5EUR for the most current v3.3 May-Aug update. It comes with a lot of missions and campaigns, but there are extras available for donation and the interiors for the T34 and Pz V Panther are extra, as well (each $5EUR). It adds up, and its a real hassle to get working, but well worth it in my opinion and the modder, Lockie, is very responsive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2018, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on July 21, 2018, 10:39:22 AM

Yes. You'll need to be pay $15EUR for the base mod v3.2 and then another $5EUR for the most current v3.3 May-Aug update. It comes with a lot of missions and campaigns, but there are extras available for donation and the interiors for the T34 and Pz V Panther are extra, as well (each $5EUR). It adds up, and its a real hassle to get working, but well worth it in my opinion and the modder, Lockie, is very responsive.

Thanks for the info.  Found out I need to buy the base game for the 2e time if I want to play it again.

First time I got it from Stardock back in 2008.  Installed then with the Impulse app.  That was replaced a couple of years ago by the Gamestop app.  Now the Gamestop app doesn't work anymore (server to log in to is gone) and no way to install the game I have paid $50 for.

Grim.Reaper

Hate to ask guys, but do you have a direct link where you can buy/download the SF mod?  I have tried searching multiple times, but couldn't find the place where you could donate/buy it.

Tuna

Yah, I'm able to get into Wings of Liberty again!  :bd:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 21, 2018, 01:50:12 PM
Hate to ask guys, but do you have a direct link where you can buy/download the SF mod?  I have tried searching multiple times, but couldn't find the place where you could donate/buy it.

Yeah...that's a real pain in the ass too. You have to PM Lockie from the forum and tell him what you want. He'll then give you info. To make payment by PayPal and then he will send you the links and PWs. I wish it was all simpler...but, it's not. Again, all worth it in my opinion. They've done amazing things with this engine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2018, 02:24:39 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 21, 2018, 01:50:12 PM

Yeah...that's a real pain in the ass too. You have to PM Lockie from the forum and tell him what you want. He'll then give you info. To make payment by PayPal and then he will send you the links and PWs. I wish it was all simpler...but, it's not. Again, all worth it in my opinion. They've done amazing things with this engine.

Thanks so much, I would have never figured that out......does look good so thinking of trying it. 

Jarhead0331

Go for it...dont give up if install seems frustrating. I'll help as much as I can here and they are very responsive in the newcomers forum too.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2018, 02:32:08 PM
Go for it...dont give up if install seems frustrating. I'll help as much as I can here and they are very responsive in the newcomers forum too.

i sent my pm to the person so just waiting for it now