What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2017, 12:46:42 PM
Did you have your black light with you?

Aaaand we have the title for mirth's memoirs.

mirth

I was going to go with, "Hold my beer and watch this".
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

That's pretty much a redneck mantra, and YOU, sir, do not strike me as a redneck.

mirth

"Hold my bourbon and watch this."
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Add "stick yer pinky out" and that's a win.

JasonPratt

Real Crusades History is a pretty great YT channel about various Crusades issues -- fairly neutral historically, credit and warts where they're due, without disrespect to anyone. They made their fame on the net by hosting a chat about Scott's Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut, although with noted differences between the theatrical and blu ray), lasting in total about as long as the director's cut. Essentially going scene by scene to opine on how close or far Ridley Scott and his writers (and occasionally the production crew) got to whatever we can figure out historically.

The first ep of that particular series starts here:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^That's pretty awesome, thank you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Hey Martok- I really liked the way the Empty Chair ended. I didn't think the last couple books were great, but the ending was perfect.

bbmike

^It was all a dream that momma Horta on Janus VI was having?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Just started, "Hue 1968" by Mark Bowden. Looks fantastic, and if it is anything like his "Black Hawk Down" and "Killing Pablo", it will not disappoint.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

I finished reading Last Orders, the sixth and final book in Harry Turtledove's The War That Came Early series. For those unfamiliar with this series, it is a work in alternate history. The author uses the experiences of a dozen or so characters as the war with Hitler progresses, a style not unusual. Be advised that course language is sometimes used to flavor the text, so don't read this series of books if you are easily offended.

I enjoyed reading The War That Came Early series. They aren't the best books I have ever read but they were far from being the worst. I even learned a few nuggets of history by reading them.

Now I am reading Beren and Lúthien by J. R. R. Tolkien and edited by Christopher Tolkien. Lord of the Rings it is not. :(

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MetalDog

Have you read The Silmarillion or Book of Lost Tales, Greybriar?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Greybriar

Quote from: MetalDog on August 25, 2017, 08:06:28 PM
Have you read The Silmarillion or Book of Lost Tales, Greybriar?

Yes, I read them years ago but I don't remember much about them except that I didn't like them as much as The Lord of the Rings.

I guess I will have to re-read The Lord of the Rings...again.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

Quote from: Greybriar on August 25, 2017, 04:50:34 PM
Now I am reading Beren and Lúthien by J. R. R. Tolkien and edited by Christopher Tolkien. Lord of the Rings it is not. :(

Thanks for the heads-up, Greybriar.  I still want to read it for myself, but I'll consider myself forewarned. 

I don't see how any of Tolkien's other Middle-Earth tales can come anywhere his LotR novels.  Very little (if any?) of his fictional materials were published as finished stories during his lifetime, and (with no disrespect to his son Christopher) it shows.  Even The Silmarillion, which I enjoy, doesn't have quite the same magic -- it reads like a combination biblical Old Testament & history textbook. 

Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2017, 09:10:44 PM
Hey Martok- I really liked the way the Empty Chair ended. I didn't think the last couple books were great, but the ending was perfect.
O0

Quote from: bbmike on August 25, 2017, 07:45:23 AM
^It was all a dream that momma Horta on Janus VI was having?
Don't be hatin'! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Quote from: Martok on August 26, 2017, 06:38:18 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on August 25, 2017, 04:50:34 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Greybriar.  I still want to read it for myself, but I'll consider myself forewarned. 

I don't see how any of Tolkien's other Middle-Earth tales can come anywhere his LotR novels.  Very little (if any?) of his fictional materials were published as finished stories during his lifetime, and (with no disrespect to his son Christopher) it shows.  Even The Silmarillion, which I enjoy, doesn't have quite the same magic -- it reads like a combination biblical Old Testament & history textbook. 

I agree. It seems to me that only those who want to study Beren and Lúthien and learn all the hows and whys of its existence should read it. Those of us who are casual readers will find the book to contain slim pickings when compared to the literary feast that The Lord of the Rings is.