Main Menu

Path Of Exile

Started by Nefaro, January 23, 2013, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 20, 2017, 06:25:57 AM
Quote from: Gusington on August 19, 2017, 09:22:03 PM
Have you played any other character types besides the gladiator?

I have played a Ranger and a Witch, but wayyy back.
I'd like to continue the Witch some time and make her a proper Necro.

I did that once...problem is you need some mobs to make it effective. Some boss battles do not have spawning mobs and once your troops are wiped you're in trouble.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

I've narrowed it down between the Witch and the Templar...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

What are you guys' main character names? I'd like to add you to my friends list.
Mine is Yskonyn
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

Probably the same but I'll double check tonight

Gusington

I haven't registered one yet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Ditto. I did however download and install PoE the other night.

Since I was out with Dad last night, I should have gotten Warframe updated while I was gone, come to think of it...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Think I've settled on playing as the Templar. How different does the game vary from character to character though?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on August 22, 2017, 06:55:28 PM
Think I've settled on playing as the Templar. How different does the game vary from character to character though?

It's more flexible than say diablo (playing a hack and slash mage doesn't work there, here you could do it).

Leveling up does involve some planning as the leveling board is HUGE. Basically, first time you game a level teleport to town and just look at it. The bigger circles are focus points and will give you special abilities or major buffs / debuffs. It's hard to specialize as both equipment and skill stones will have prereqs of the primary attribute to use or level up respectively.

I'm sure there's youtube tutorials on this. I also know Quill's done some let's play sessions with POE.

Gusington

^Hmm now you've got me thinking of the witch again...one that could kick some serious buttocks with some hack and slash moves as well as spells...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on August 22, 2017, 09:16:33 PM
^Hmm now you've got me thinking of the witch again...one that could kick some serious buttocks with some hack and slash moves as well as spells...

Not saying it would work well...just that you could do it if you veer way off the normal witch path if you wanted.

I've got probably a good 20+ hours in it and I haven't even scratched the surface on the level chart.

Toonces

Please don't ask Gus to do any of his own research...that can only lead to disappointment.

::)

:P
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Aren't you supposed to be reading Les Mis, drinking scotch and defending the reputation of the US Navy?

I am curious how PoE compared to Diablo games...I have always enjoyed Diablo to a point but after 20-25 hours I always got a bit fatigued.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on August 23, 2017, 08:02:07 AM
^Aren't you supposed to be reading Les Mis, drinking scotch and defending the reputation of the US Navy?

I am curious how PoE compared to Diablo games...I have always enjoyed Diablo to a point but after 20-25 hours I always got a bit fatigued.

I like it although it's hard to describe why I like it. It's not as polished as D3 but it's also a different type of game. D3 is about slogging to 70, then developing item sets to improve skill choices for tasks at hand. Character building is almost nil.

PoE is all about the path you want to take on the skill tree. Note though actual skills are a function of gems. It is hard to describe but meshes pretty well. You need better equipment less for stats but more for gem spots. On top of that you are really looking for linked gem openings so you can add support gems to skill gems. All of this is combined with your leveling matrix to give you various bonuses. I'm sure people have set up min max charts but it's big enough you can explore freely and have fun doing it.

Also I noticed there are very few places you can be underleveled. If you are having difficulty it is probably more of a function of your current build.

Yskonyn

I like that PoE's art style is much more similar to Diablo 2's gritty style than Diablo 3 is. That, coupled with the absolutely HUGE character progression tree (or board as people call it) is the real draw for me.

Then the way gems are used to actually configure skill and elemental abilities of your character are an interesting way to handle a system you would take for granted in an ARPG.

The starting characters are all mere mortals and pretty much play like one. Its only when you ascend later on that you start to feel you're becoming a real super hero. I like that tremendously.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Nice, sounds awesome. Definitely going to start sooner rather than later.

Take that, Toonces!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd