Main Menu

The Go Bag

Started by GDS_Starfury, August 23, 2012, 09:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2012, 08:20:25 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 24, 2012, 08:17:02 AM
...I also always keep a case of bottle water in the house for when the power goes off ...

Are you on well water?

Yeah, so when the power is off I am up a creek, well with out any water. :)

I am also in the habit of when a bad storm is rolling through to fill the bathtub and any lose bottles and containers with water so that if the power goes off I have some water for manually flushing the toilet and basic bathing.  Also I can boil the water on the camp stove for cooking.  If used conservatively a bathtub full of water can last quite a while.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

^sadly, most bathtubs won't hold water indefinitely if they are older. You need some kind of good seal or waterproof sticky patch to cover the drain.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 24, 2012, 08:29:27 AM
^sadly, most bathtubs won't hold water indefinitely if they are older. You need some kind of good seal or waterproof sticky patch to cover the drain.

The place I am currently renting must have a good seal because it held water for 4 days when Irene came through last year.  Thankfully I've never had to keep it any longer.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MIGMaster

Mine's more of a bug-out bag! I have laptop, Kindle, Playbook, 2 portable USB HDDs with all the family pics and important files (which includes images of every room in the house for insurance purposes). 40GB of flashdrives, all of my passwords, Remington's small K-bar style knife... It's all in a Cabela's digital camo handgun bag bag with MOLLE straps. It's small enough to carry around and keep stuff stored in when you're not using it.

It's great if my Mother-in-law comes... I can grab the bag and set-up shop anywhere !  ;)

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on August 24, 2012, 12:24:34 PM
Mine's more of a bug-out bag! I have laptop, Kindle, Playbook, 2 portable USB HDDs with all the family pics and important files (which includes images of every room in the house for insurance purposes). 40GB of flashdrives, all of my passwords, Remington's small K-bar style knife... It's all in a Cabela's digital camo handgun bag bag with MOLLE straps. It's small enough to carry around and keep stuff stored in when you're not using it.

It's great if my Mother-in-law comes... I can grab the bag and set-up shop anywhere !  ;)

That's what I call my electronics bag. Swiss Army backpack designed for a 17" laptop. Has all my cords and cables, a few books, some small board/card games just in case I run into a random stranger who games. That's my goto bag when I travel.

As I noted above, it's far more likely that I'll need to stay in rather than bug out. Never hurts to be prepared for both, but the reality is that I've been snowed in more often than I've been overrun by zombies.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jack Nastyface

Good idea about the digital pics of the rooms, etc!
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

TheCommandTent

MIGMaster

I get OCD about that stuff. I get OCD about that stuff. I get OCD about that stuff.

bayonetbrant

I've got CDO. It's like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order like they're supposed to be.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

good ideas so far.
I cant wait for JH's post on the matter.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 24, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
good ideas so far.

Jarhead's Go Bag is an AAV.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 24, 2012, 07:57:30 PM
good ideas so far.

If you're still soliciting suggestions - at the risk of repeating myself - don't overlook the fun factor.

Eventually you will reach a point of security and will need some downtime. I know, I know, this is when the zombies usually get the hot cheerleader and the football captain, but let's pretend for a moment that we're a bit closer to reality.

Bring a fifth (or two) of something you like. Knowing you as I do, Star, you should have a couple of boxes of condoms. Keep 'em fresh and rotate your stock, because I expect the zombie apocalypse to just follow the invasion from Mars in terms of chronology.

GDS_Starfury

Im really asking this from a serious position.
so far in its reformation Ive got:
bottle of tylenol
bottle of advil
bottle of hydrogin peroxide
first aid kit
extra tubes of neosporin and polysporin
ace bandages
2 pair of soxs
3 pack of underware
2 pair of cargo pants
4 jersey tee shirts
thermal blanket
important paperwork:  SS card, birth certificate, needed bank records ect
magnesium fire kit
combat knife
compass
maps of Florida
2 small and 1 large Mag-lite
waterproof watch
pistol + 200 rounds  half HP half range rounds
3 magazines loaded with HP
iodine tablets
4 bars of soap
5 pack of razors
every tool I might need, barring having to builld a house, is in the lockbox in my pickup.
keep a full tank and refill when you hit half.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
wtf do you all have 'emergency bags'?

emergencies done happen when you expect them to.  SHTF at the most inopprotune times.  thats why its when SHTF.
its also not some nutcase idea of a zombie break out.  no track right now shows this storm not hitting south Florida. 
Ive already seen the end results of some crap like Andrew of Katinra.  its frikin weird to see  NG troops on the intersections
of your backyard when theres no power, no ice and no food.  to me having a plan and the equipment to carry it out is
just a basic responsibility.