The Dam Busters 75th Anniversary

Started by JudgeDredd, May 18, 2018, 03:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I went to the Odeon last night with the missus to watch the remastered 4k Dam Busters movie. It was being screened at The Royal Albert Hall and streamed to over 400 cinemas nationwide.

They had a 1 hour intro between 19:15 and 20:15 where Dan Snow (of the legendary Jon Snow - not of "Winter is coomin'" fame). They introduced alot of people in the audience who were relatives of The Dam Busters crews or some ground crew members. They also gave some history behind the decisions and the detail of the raid and finally ended by re-enacting the marbles scene from the movie using tennis balls, some blocks as the dam and some paddling pools between the machine that would fire the balls and the dam, explaining what occurred, the things that were challenging and how they got it right.

It was really good fun though I'll be honest - I didn't see much improvement between the 4k screened version last night and the normal DVD I have.

However - it was quite emotional to sit in a live theatre and watch it and it wasn't too difficult to time shift yourself back to 1955.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening  O0
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

By the way, the 70th Anniversary edition of the film is released on June 4th and so get your orders in for Fathers Day...it has a documentary about the raid on it too I believe
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 18, 2018, 04:31:09 AM
By the way, the 70th Anniversary edition of the film is released on June 4th and so get your orders in for Fathers Day...it has a documentary about the raid on it too I believe

Thanks for the heads up! Can I buy myself a copy even though I'm not a father?  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

I wonder if this is also marketing for a Peter Jackson film on the way...  :coolsmiley: O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Chris Nolan. While the new movie will be called 'Dam Busters', it will never show the attack on the dams.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Jar Jar Abrams. The movie will be called "Dam Busters", it will replace the bombers with flying race cars, the dams will be all white and lens flarey. And the Germans will all look like Sleestak.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on May 18, 2018, 09:39:34 AM
Jar Jar Abrams. The movie will be called "Dam Busters", it will replace the bombers with flying race cars, the dams will be all white and lens flarey. And the Germans will all look like Sleestak.

Better than the last Trek movie.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 18, 2018, 09:04:52 AM
I wonder if this is also marketing for a Peter Jackson film on the way...  :coolsmiley: O0
He's already started

**please watch to the end - it's pretty bloody funny**

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

I've seen that before but it's still hilarious.  :))

I actually drank Carling Black Label myself back in my impoverished student early adulthood. $2.49 a 6-pack was hard to beat...  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Any interest in a forum based game of Enemy Coast Ahead?  We could do the full campaign.

Staggerwing

I'm in. The last one you MC'ed (DM'ed?) was a lot of fun.  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 18, 2018, 06:51:04 PM
Any interest in a forum based game of Enemy Coast Ahead?  We could do the full campaign.

I honestly thought there was one running already, but sure!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!