Oil & Gas Prices

Started by airboy, May 14, 2018, 10:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

It is predicted that Summer 2018 will see the USA go back to $3.00 to $3.50 gas prices (excluding California and a couple of other places which through legislation make their gas a lot more expensive).

The USA is now an oil exporter again, so why is this happening?  The problem in the USA is that where the oil is being produced does not have the current pipeline capacity to get to refineries.  The price per barrel in many areas is far below the world wide price because the only way to ship it is by truck or train which is very expensive.

With the USA hammering Iran their oil exports should fall.  Venezuela has screwed up their economy and oil industry to the point where they have very little product hitting the market.  Thus, world prices are going up.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: airboy on May 14, 2018, 10:04:58 AM
It is predicted that Summer 2018 will see the USA go back to $3.00 to $3.50 gas prices (excluding California and a couple of other places which through legislation make their gas a lot more expensive).

The USA is now an oil exporter again, so why is this happening?  The problem in the USA is that where the oil is being produced does not have the current pipeline capacity to get to refineries.  The price per barrel in many areas is far below the world wide price because the only way to ship it is by truck or train which is very expensive.

With the USA hammering Iran their oil exports should fall.  Venezuela has screwed up their economy and oil industry to the point where they have very little product hitting the market.  Thus, world prices are going up.

You nailed the pipeline issue. If you're an oil importer, as the US has been, refineries tend to be in coastal areas, proximal to ports/oiltankers. The need for oil pipelines to refineries from inland was historically not there. That's changed and as you indicate, there are impacts.

The price of crude going up hopefully will also cause those huge vertically integrated oilcos to reduce their margins on their refinery operations.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

OJsDad

I think the volatility and higher gas prices, along with growing concerns about environmental and health concerns is going to drive people to look at electric vehicles more.  Over the next 5-10 years, I think we're going to see the tech break throughs that is going to accelerate this move; graphene and or magnesium batteries, which could offer improvements in charging times and amount of energy held.  Being able to charge a car wireless while driving would also help.  And as more car manufacturers do more work with electric cars, the costs will drop.  Finally, if you can take a pickup truck and make it electric without losing any tow or performance and gas prices are over $3, I think you'll see a quick shift to electric vehicles. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

I think 2 things will absolutely explode the electric vehicle industry, both truck-related.

1. like you said - towing capacity / hauling capacity.  Put some torque on that electric motor

2. ability to plug in a 110v extension cord and not completely kill the battery if you're powering some tools for a bit, or even just keeping batteries charged for cordless ones.  Give contractors the ability to run their tools off their truck motors, and you're going to see a LOT of electric Silverados and F150s rolling out of dealerships
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Since I drive a Prius, gas prices are not a big concern.

BanzaiCat

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 15, 2018, 10:10:12 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Dude - quit using self-portraits to make memes!

OJsDad

I thought that was his mother in law.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

BanzaiCat

Oh, no no no no. I have much less acne!

mirth

Suuuuuuuure you do, pizza face.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Maybe I should stop using frozen pizza pepperoni to moisturize my face?

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

But it feels good, like sixteen trillion bacteria having leaky secks in a petri dish orgy!