Sherlock Holmes 3

Started by mirth, May 08, 2018, 12:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

And Jude Law can be his assistant, Dr. War Machine Watson.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 08, 2018, 10:07:00 PM
And Jude Law can be his assistant, Dr. War Machine Watson.  :bd:

That is actually a pretty cool name. I might use that sometime.
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

Feel free-- no copy writes.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

The BBC series was fun for a while, but it went off the rails badly, and the seeds for that can be clearly seen in the first season -- where no, I don't think Cumberbatch's portrayal was especially true to the character. Holmes might have been a little eccentric, but he was never a barely/high-functioning sociopath with more quirks than Mr. Quirky the quirky fox who had graduated with a masters of quirkiness from the national university of quirkiness. (And I'm citing showrunner Moffet there where he was self-critically poking fun at his own Doctor Who characterization.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The last season of the BBC series with the forgotten sister was kind of stupid.  But leading up to that I enjoyed it.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Feature-length primal hallucinatory nightmar--uh, analysis of the series:

Highly entertaining, and even though I liked the first three seasons I can't argue with most of it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Yeah, I also loved all of it, even the 19th Century interlude, until Psycho Sister happened. After that it seemed pretty hokey.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

If someone wants to make a serious run at a Steampunk show, they should bring back Warehouse 12 and HG Wells.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Yes it was. Eureka was pretty good as well. Those were good times on cable TV. Don't forget SG1, SG:Atlantis, BSG, LEXX, Farscape, etc, etc...

I miss Scifi Fridays... I miss the Scifi Channel...  :(

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

LEXX was downright weird, in a good way. Farscape is a sci-fi classic. Would love to see a reunion.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on May 09, 2018, 07:24:09 PM
LEXX was downright weird, in a good way. Farscape is a sci-fi classic. Would love to see a reunion.

LEXX seemed to be Warhammer40K as seen by a subdued Mel Brooks.

Farscape... I really need to treat myself to a run through of the entire series, followed up by Peacekeeper Wars.

I'm glad that Ben Browder and Claudia Black were able to get gigs on SG1 after Farscape wrapped up.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 09, 2018, 07:20:34 PMYes it was. Eureka was pretty good as well.

Eureka inhabited the same 'world' as Warehouse 13 and they had a few characters cross over

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 09, 2018, 07:20:34 PMI miss the Scifi Channel...  :(

They changed the name b/c they cold copyright "SyFy" but they couldn't copyright "SciFi"

Whenever I'm scrolling thru the guide and I see "SYFYHD" I keep thinking it's some kind of Welsh language channel...

bbmike

Plus the crap they show isn't really SciFi. It is, however, SyFy.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on May 09, 2018, 07:39:19 PM
Plus the crap they show isn't really SciFi.

Killjoys is pretty solid.

I'm stacking up episodes of The Expanse to binge one weekend.

Dunno if you'd count The Magicians as "SciFi" but what other channel would you put that on?