Brezhnev's War

Started by SofaKings, April 29, 2018, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SofaKings

Leonid's War is getting torched in a thread on the "Modern Wargamer" page on FB.  Looks as if it has serious playability issues.  Anyone break it out yet?  Mine is sitting on a shelf in shrink with a play date of this summer.

Crossroads

Dang, another Cold war gone hot game.  :bd:

Where's this Facebook post you are referring to?
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Barthheart

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on April 30, 2018, 08:28:38 AM
Try here... pretty damning....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1678552672238695&set=gm.1998413033505305&type=3&theater&ifg=1

QuoteRobert Fairman
Robert Fairman I'll give you $20 for it Ty.

QuoteTy Beard
Ty Beard A generous offer, but I keep my games, even the crappy ones. Also, I have sweated for that game - I clipped every counter with my sooper dooper corner rounder. So, kinda like a Stockholm Syndrome sufferer, I just can't let it go...😁

O0

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on April 30, 2018, 08:41:19 AM
Another bad review....

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1984173/very-disappointing

I think that's the same guy with the same review. Not good what he's reporting of course. I just invested on Putin's Northern War and Next War: Poland, so would have passed this one as well, likely. But does sound like a rushed job for sure  :-[

JudgeDredd

Maybe it's a Russian Propaganda tool - you know..."Look how easy it would be for us to crush the West by playing our game"
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 09:18:12 AM
Ty Bomba responds over at CSW

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddc75fc/459

He nailed it at the end:

QuoteYou come across to me as a rabidly angry and hateful person. I've offered clear rationales for all my design decisions, and I'm happy to stand by them. If you scroll up through the posts here, you'll see your reaction to the game hasn't been typical. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed playing the game; there are certainly numerous other titles covering this campaign based more on parameters with which you can agree.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bboyer66

Somewhere I had made a long list of the problems with the map, but of course I cant find it anymore. The map is a flat out travesty. Not only has it limited Germany to a whopping 3-4 terrain types, it is just plain wrong as far as where actual locations are located. The Fulda Gap is 30km away from Wurzburg on the map. In actuality it is 100 Km away. The Schweinfurt area which is pretty much urban and forest terrain, is clear on the map.  Lots of urban areas such as Bamburg, Fulda, Schweinfurt, are not even represented, and that is just a small section of the map.

Seems like a quick, no thrills type of game, that you would find in the old Strategy and Tactics magazines. 

No offense to Ty Bomba, but if you are putting out so many games per year, Im not surprised by the inaccuracies.   

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on April 30, 2018, 09:38:21 AM

He nailed it at the end:

QuoteYou come across to me as a rabidly angry and hateful person. I've offered clear rationales for all my design decisions, and I'm happy to stand by them. If you scroll up through the posts here, you'll see your reaction to the game hasn't been typical. I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed playing the game; there are certainly numerous other titles covering this campaign based more on parameters with which you can agree.

Agreed. Having read the CSW thread further, there's good discussion as why certain design decisions were taken. And this is quite a simple rule set, too. Too many Cold war games around. We are blessed.  O:-)

bayonetbrant

funny that the Fulda Gap is noted on the map, but Fulda itself is not.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bboyer66

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 30, 2018, 10:07:26 AM
funny that the Fulda Gap is noted on the map, but Fulda itself is not.
[/quote

Not to mention that the actual gap was a NE to SW direction of advance. In the game it is a SE to NW advance. 

ArizonaTank

Interesting response.  I had not intended to buy the game, but Ty's responses resonate with me...  Also on boardgame geek Ted Racier does an interesting AAR. 

I would consider buying it now.....but sadly there is no vassal module...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

mirth

Quote from: bboyer66 on April 30, 2018, 10:02:12 AM
No offense to Ty Bomba, but if you are putting out so many games per year, Im not surprised by the inaccuracies.   

I feel a little bit this way about Compass in general. They have a large number of games in the pipeline. I love their games and I am excited about many of the upcoming releases, but I can't help but wonder if QC will slip.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus