Spoiler discussion of Infinity War.

Started by Centurion40, April 28, 2018, 08:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Can this be used as an excuse to miss work?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Consider; why do I like Infinity War despite its many, many flaws? Why, on the other hand, can I not quite bring myself to like TLJ despite its many, many flaws?

There are times when over-convenient writing doesn't quite matter. I'd argue IWar is just on the edge of that, but safely on this side of the edge.

MauLer (who notably skips much reference to the BP movie in praising Marvel over the past 10 years, for reasons he explains in another video) reminds that's what is worthy in IWar trumps the problems.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, writers for Av4 say that you shouldn't expect the film to simply be about undoing the end of Av3, and that (at least some of) the deaths are going to stick.

They're also staying with their prior line that Av4 isn't IWar 2, and that Av4 is it's own independent film.

I'd say the safe guess is that everyone who got ashed will be coming back (for goodness' sake, both of the only real contenders for the next Captain America got ashed), but that anyone who died before the snap stays dead.

That would be Vision (who was arguably OP anyway) -- but Wanda would come back. In comics canon, the Scarlet Witch is driven insane by grief over death of a loved one and becomes a cosmic-level threat, so that's a potential storyline. (She eliminates most or all mutants, maybe she brings them into the MCU?)

Gamora, the only Guardian to die before the snap.

Loki and Heimdall (and indeed all the other Asgardians on the ship, if Valk and some others didn't escape somehow before the ship detonated).

...I think that's it? Am I missing anyone pre-snap?

mirth

Having finally seen this, I will say Marvel finally gave us a great villian.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on May 06, 2018, 06:24:58 PM
Having finally seen this, I will say Marvel finally gave us a great villian.

Agreed.

His motivation is somewhat dubious but it is a very pragmatic (and cold blooded) approach to that problem.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

Brolin made the character work. He was far more interesting than most of the heroes.

JasonPratt

I don't quite care that his motivation makes little sense. After a certain point, crazy / sad / evil does cover bases sufficiently. Being distracted by his ongoing crazy-griefiness even explains (somewhat) his lack of imagination in using the stones when most convenient, why the Reality Stone mostly did illusions, etc.

(Speaking as a writer, I know crazy / evil / sad can be misused for plot convenience, too. That's a fine line, and I'm willing to admit I'm spotting the film some points on this excuse rather than the film itself ESTABLISHING those as in-story excuses for his occasional incompetence. That would have been much better.)

Sir Slash

The rationality of his actions made him seem even more sinister than the usual power-mad villains. Plus he was just cool.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Funny that Brolin is playing Thanos AND Cable.

Just saw it a bit ago - finally. The 'I don't feel so good' memes make sense now.

Like some of you I really did not expect that ending, at all. I knew there would be a cliffhanger, I just didn't know it would cliff quite that hard.  :o

JasonPratt

1.) Be me.

2.) Send out instructions to the internet.

3.) "Brolin in Jonah Hex, but Thanos' lines."

4.) ...?

5.) Profit.

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

I saw it. Thought I was watching Lone Ranger.  :idiot2: