Nazi Super-Trains

Started by BanzaiCat, April 24, 2018, 08:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I'd like to think I've not heard everything around World War II yet, and having a show called 'Nazi Mega Structures' on in the background while working introduced me to this pretty fantastic (as in fantasy) concept that Hitler had for the Reich's train system. I'd never heard of this before.

Called the "Breitspurbahn," it was a planned 3-meter-wide track that would run throughout most of Europe and sport a HUGE train that would be loaded with luxuries, from a first class down to a third class.

Cars would include a swimming pool and cinema.  :o

QuoteThe proposal was that high-performance locomotives should pull 8-axle double-floor carriages with a length of 42 meters (138 ft), width of 6 meters (19 ft 8 in) and height of 7 meters (23 ft 0 in).[1] The carriages would have Dutch doors (with retractable staircase). The trains would be fitted with a restaurant, cinema, swimming pool, barbershop and sauna. The whole train would have a length of about 500 meters (1,640 ft), allowing a capacity of between 2,000 and 4,000 passengers, travelling at speeds of 200 kilometers per hour (120 mph). Designs included:

1st/2nd class day car: 48 first class seats in 12 compartments, 144 second class seats in 24 compartments, bar, lounge, reading room, luggage compartments, 12 toilets.
3rd class day car: 460 seats in 56 compartments, lounge, 12 toilets.
1st/2nd class dining car: 130 seats at 24 tables, kitchen, pantry.
3rd class day car with dining room: 244 seats in 28 compartments, 176 seat dining room, kitchen, pantry.
1st/2nd class sleeping car: 16 first class beds in 16 cabins, 41 second class beds in 19 cabins, breakfast room, kitchen, washrooms, 10 toilets.
2nd class sleeping car: 104 beds in 104 cabins, washrooms, 12 toilets.
3rd class sleeping car: 264 beds in 44 cabins, breakfast room, kitchen, shower rooms 10 toilets.
Day/night car for Ost-Arbeiter: 480 seats in 52 cabins, kitchen, washrooms, staff room.
Cinema car: 196 seat cinema.
Observation car: 16 first class seats in 4 compartments, 32 second class seats in 8 compartments, 160 third class seats in 20 compartments, galley, cold buffet, bar, observation deck.
Mail car: mail storage and sorting, parcel space, crew room, space for 6 automobiles, dog kennels.
Baggage car: baggage rooms, space for 2 automobiles, dog kennels, canteen, crew room, multiple 20 mm anti-aircraft guns, ammunition storage and gun crews.

I'm not a big train guy but I do have something of an interest in this subject. The episode (season 1, ep 3) was a detailed look at the Reich's train systems, a subject I've not really learned too much about over the years. Well worth a watch if you have Netflix.

JasonPratt

The funniest thing is the multiple 20mm anti-aircraft cannons in the baggage car.

In a peaceful NaziReich Europe, that would be... for... .....gunning down dissidents? As the train flies by?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 24, 2018, 08:40:45 AM
The funniest thing is the multiple 20mm anti-aircraft cannons in the baggage car.

In a peaceful NaziReich Europe, that would be... for... .....gunning down dissidents? As the train flies by?

The map shows the plans for 1943 so not that peaceful yet.

Also notice the 'luxury' reserved for the Ost-Arbeiter (designation for slave workers from Central and Eastern Europe)

Steelgrave

That train would have been very useful for the retreat from Stalingrad   ;)

Gusington

Awesome but I am guessing I would not have been allowed to ride.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I see his plan didn't involve a connection through to the UK...thanking you, RAF  O0
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2018, 10:07:29 AM
Awesome but I am guessing I would not have been allowed to ride.

Because you're too...short, right? ;)

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 24, 2018, 10:13:32 AM
I see his plan didn't involve a connection through to the UK...thanking you, RAF  O0

Exactly! Though if they had won (shudder) no doubt they might have tried to bring Doggerland back up. They planned on walling off the Med, so who knows...