Van Hits Crowd in Toronto

Started by Labbug, April 23, 2018, 03:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

There's enough assholes in the world that I'm not sure encouraging greater assholeness is the best course of action....
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

I've never heard of this movement either!  Wild.  Not surprising, but wild.

Clearly, our "western" societies need deeper mental health services and/or more uncles who will take their awkward nephews to a bordello before they turn 19.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Pete Dero

Alek Minassian Toronto van attack suspect praised 'incel' killer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43883052

Coincidence or sick planning : The 10 dead and 14 wounded are "predominantly" women, ranging in age from their 20s to their 80s, police say.

Centurion40

That tweet makes a lot more sense now.

Jesus I wish that nuts like that would start with killing themselves....

Gusington

It would help if the mentally sick were locked away again and not just medicated and then sent on their way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on April 25, 2018, 09:18:09 AM
It would help if the mentally sick were locked away again and not just medicated and then sent on their way.

here in the US, the feds have been cutting support for mental health and pushing it back to already-overburdened states for funding/support

they're doing it under the guise of "freedom" - don't use residential mental health as a proxy for incarceration - but really they're sticking a lot of people out in public that could use the help.  Not unrelated: estimates range as high as 50% of homeless that are fighting mental illnesses.  Not unrelated https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/nyregion/nyc-homeless-nakesha-mental-illness.html
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^I hear you. Prisons are no substitute for mental health care and neither is throwing these people out on the street. These people should not be treated like human garbage and its coming back to bite the rest of society right in the ass. Medicine is one part of treatment but not the end all be all and some are too dangerous just to be medicated and not separated from the rest of society.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

I agree, but we're also kind of far afield from the Toronto van topic.

You want to open a new thread, or just kind of leave it be?

Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 25, 2018, 09:51:49 AM
I agree, but we're also kind of far afield from the Toronto van topic.

You want to open a new thread, or just kind of leave it be?

I'm thinking new topic that might be best served in R&P.  Discussion of MH will, inevitably turn to guns and politics....

Sir Slash

You're preaching to the choir here. I worked at a state run mental institution from 1974 to 2001 until the state of Florida decided, like so many other states, that the mentally ill could be better treated in the community, also MUCH cheaper for the state. There were only 3 state facilities then open for the whole state. Ours had the highest Discharge/Admission rate of any because as soon as our patients were discharged, they quit taking their meds, would flip-out and come right back to us again. It happened this way for years. So how were they supposed to be treated more successfully after we were closed?

The local communities fought the state to prevent the closing and we presented all our facts and figures directly to the Governor and the legislature without success. We had 300 beds when we closed but over 1000 beds in the past. All our patients ended up either in jail once let out or else living as the 'Homeless' you see routinely everywhere. The state had already made the call and the truth mattered not at all. Those of us who had actually worked with the mentally ill knew this was what would happen.

The mentally ill don't need to be on the street. They need to be somewhere where they can't abuse us or be abused by us. My 2 cents.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

My experience is much the same - when I was a paramedic we had plenty of mental patients we'd transport to human services to catch the bus to the state mental facility upstate. I still remember a lot of them today, 20-some years later.

MikeGER

Quote from: Centurion40 on April 25, 2018, 08:04:14 AM

Jesus I wish that nuts like that would start with killing themselves....

sometimes i think our society in the West as a whole would be better of if there were
1.  a 1 year draft for military service again
- no excuses! beside serious health conditions, like being handicapped - 

2. and the nations actually go to war from time to time
well not on each others!, asymmetric warfare on shithole countries with governments which are unstable and don't have control over their landscape anyway and so harboring terrorists, generating a playground for fighting ethnics in civilwars since released from being a colony, you name it... mostly on the continent of Africa

the war goal is to overtake and occupy the whole country for a decade or so with a (staged, like they all are now anyway) UN mandate, with massive boots on the ground and a very very robust ROE, like in WW2. collateral damage? never heard of in 1945

after some time the ruling over that land is of course given back to good willing natives (government workers and diplomats getting trained and operating from the UN building first, just like a exile government would and later operating in country when their 'clan affiliation' is reduced to 'not a hindrance' for a better tomorrow anymore) after clearing the stretch of land from all kind of baddies, warlords, and unwanted factions which destabilize the region...
The resources gained from those lands are of course used to build the county infrastructure, education and health system and not stolen by the western occupants.

Those wars would wash out lot of maniacs from the society. the idiots will get them self killed by their own stupidity, the over aggressive gung-ho types will get them self killed soon in battle, the "emos" will get a chance to man-up by peer group pressure or commit suicide instead of murder now, and the 'normal' people will get a chance to prove them self, earn dignity and self esteem by their achievements, even if the achievements is just to live through the hardship and getting out alive. 
also bonds will be forged in battle over all ethnic and belief borders, bonds that will carry over into the post tour of duty time and so into the society.   

yes, we would loose some very good boys too. that is unavoidable, just the wrong place at the wrong time.
but also the majority of good guys will come back as a better stable person and prepared for coping with the hard ship and twists adult life usual is.

It may sound a little bit 'darwinistic', but I thought of WW2 the greatest generation.
never have read of all kind of BS-'phenomena' in that postwar time then we have to witness today ...or maybe it was just the lack of social media then? 

-edit -
uups, there is new thread :-[ 
so respond to it  might be better over there then 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MikeGER on April 25, 2018, 10:40:40 AM
It may sound a little bit 'darwinistic', but I thought of WW2 the greatest generation.

sounds a little genocidal to me

when I think of the WWII "Greatest Generation" I think of the guys that went to war to stop that kind of behavior by removing the regimes that thought it was a good idea

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 26, 2018, 09:00:09 AM
when I think of the WWII "Greatest Generation" I think of the guys that went to war to stop that kind of behavior by removing the regimes that thought it was a good idea

this
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus