Best WWI or WWII wargames out there so far

Started by JudgeDredd, April 19, 2018, 04:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Crossroads on April 19, 2018, 09:54:16 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 19, 2018, 07:26:56 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 19, 2018, 06:39:20 AM
LnLP Nations at War series. Similar rules and same scale as LnLP World at War series but for WWII era conflicts. Current Normandy, East Front and N. Africa available. Fun game and plays fast.
I saw this on the LnL website. Unfortunately, I couldn't find t online in the UK (well, not the Normandy one - I think BoardGameGuru had the Africa and Russia one).

World at War's first module game, White Star Rising, has some Normandy scenarios, among others.

The series is on "version 2.0" at the moment, with new counters and maps, in "version 1.0" there was a module for Operation Cobra, that has not yet been converted I guess. But I'd guess by Normandy the reference was to White Star Rising.
You mean Nations at War right?

I couldn't find Nations at War White Star Rising online in the UK.
Alba gu' brath

ArizonaTank

WWII discussion of good tactical is not complete without mentioning the elephants...  ATS (Advanced Tobruk System - Critical Hit) and ASL (Advanced Squad Leader - MMP)...both of those are such rich systems with such variety of available content, they are practically lifestyles.

I also enjoy Academy Games Conflict of Heroes system - kind of reminds me of Combat Commander, but with less cards and more tanks.

Some honorable mention to the Avalanche's Panzer Grenadier series...platoon level.  I think the system has a lot of good aspects...but I also have some major quibbles with the way leadership is handled...also no Vassal support
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Bison

Combat Commander does not have armor in any of the core rules or expansions.  There was an experimental armor supplement published in C3I (I believe this was the publication), but the rules were never really well received and not implemented into the game in any other products

So if vehicles or heavier equipment beyond some artillery is what you want in a tactical combat system CC is not the game you want to look into for that option.

Bison

Another fun WW2 tactical system is Jim Day's Panzer series.  The focus is individual tanks but also has rules for infantry squads and artillery.  A fun game that has a modular rules system so you can tailor the combat to your preferences.

mirth

Panzer is excellent. Both as a board game and a miniatures game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Panzer isn't very good solo though, is it?

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Well aren't we just special with all our gaming groups and buddies living at a convenient distance from your domicile, eh? ;D

The game's caught my eye on numerous occasions but I've read comments on both sides of the fence for it being suitable for solo play. Guess there's better out there for us alone types.

mirth

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 21, 2018, 03:41:35 PM
Well aren't we just special with all our gaming groups and buddies living at a convenient distance from your domicile, eh? ;D

You solo players have my sympathy :P

BanzaiCat

I'll just move to the area and live out of my car.

mirth

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on April 21, 2018, 03:43:44 PM

I'm the best AI there is vs myself!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Panzer is good solo.  It does not require you to be any more or less schizophrenic as a player than any other wargame not specifically designed for solo play. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on April 21, 2018, 03:43:44 PM

mirth might play with himself, but not with wargames
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers