OT: Ultra Wide Gaming

Started by PanzersEast, March 01, 2018, 12:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Anyone gaming with a Ultra Wide monitor, and if so how do you like it?

OJsDad

I'm not, but wanting to go that direction with my next monitor.   So I too would be interested if anyone else is playing on an ultra wide monitor.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bardolph

I run triples, which isn't the same thing but is pretty dang wide lol. 5760x1080.  How wide is "ultra-wide"?
I mostly use it for racing sims, most other games I just play on the central monitor. Also super useful for multi-tasking stuff. Couldn't go back at this point.
My brother swears by triples for the shooters he plays, ARMA and such. I would try it but ARMA at 1980x1080 already causes my system to have second thoughts about working at all.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Bardolph on March 01, 2018, 02:04:53 PM
I run triples, which isn't the same thing but is pretty dang wide lol. 5760x1080.  How wide is "ultra-wide"?
I mostly use it for racing sims, most other games I just play on the central monitor. Also super useful for multi-tasking stuff. Couldn't go back at this point.
My brother swears by triples for the shooters he plays, ARMA and such. I would try it but ARMA at 1980x1080 already causes my system to have second thoughts about working at all.

I've looked at LG 34UC80-B 34-Inch 21:9 curved running at 3440x1440.

OJsDad

Bardolph, which monitor are you using.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Skoop

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 01, 2018, 02:14:44 PM
Quote from: Bardolph on March 01, 2018, 02:04:53 PM

I've looked at LG 34UC80-B 34-Inch 21:9 curved running at 3440x1440.

I've got the acer version of that and it's great.  You can even overclock the refresh rate to run at 100hz for faster refresh rate in shooters.  You can actually go even higher into true 4k with more expensive models.  I felt the 1440 with the ability to run the refresh to 100hz was the he best all around setup.

Some guys for flight sims claim true 4k is the way to go because you get a boost in aircraft spotting, which is one of the knocks against VR is the lower res makes spotting tougher, but you gain immersion in spades.

Bardolph

Ah, I looked at some 21:9 monitors when I was shopping. They were nice, but triples work better for racing as I can get more angle so that's what I went with.

OJsDad, I'm using three HP Pavilion 23CW monitors, mostly because they met the following important criteria:

Very thin bezels.
On sale for $120 each at Best Buy the day I bought them.
Three of them were available that day (though I had to drive to three different Best Buys totalling about 6 hours driving round trip  :uglystupid2: )
Very thin bezels.

1080 was enough for me, as I am running them on my gaming laptop which is several years old now and only has a 670GTX in it. That said, it still runs most of the stuff I'm interested in and I get steady frames in iRacing using triples with the graphics turned down fairly low.

It would be hard to go back at this point, I've gotten spoiled with the extra screen real estate. Nice to be able to have several windows open when I'm doing graphics stuff, or just surfing the web while keeping youtube on the side. Would probably make VASSAL a lot easier too, that always seemed to require multiple windows open. Don't use it much anymore, prefer Tabletop Simulator even with its quirks and deficiencies.

Cheers!

OJsDad

I have an 8+ year old 20" Acer.  It was great, until I got a 24" monitor for work, not it's not so great.   :(

Thomasew

Hi,

I have a Dell U3417W which runs at 3440x1440@60Hz (overclockable), .. driven by a Nvidia 1080ti .. :)

Fantastic monitor, .. which I use for Flight Sims, Racing Sims, .. and Wargaming .. :)

Everything works great .. :) .. having that extra Field of View is marvelous.

I have the new Dell Alienware AW3418 on order through a local supplier here in South Africa.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitors-monitor-accessories

.. for the higher Refresh Rate and G-Sync, .. etc.

Cheers
Tom

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

OJsDad

Thomas,

Both of those are nice monitors.  I've also been eyeing Dell's U3818DW. 

I'll probably end up with LG's 34UC88-B. 

Bardolph

Yah, three of those and yer in bidness   :bd:

Queeg

I've been using an Asus MX34VQ 34" 21:9 (3440 x 1440) curved monitor for a couple of months, and have been very happy with it.  I looked at a few other 21:9 monitors but settled on the Asus because of its 100Hz refresh rate. 

I had been using an Asus G-Sync monitor before, and I wondered if I would miss that feature.  Hasn't been an issue at all.  Ghost Recon, TW Warhammer 2 and Rise of Flight all look great.

I was always skeptical that a curved monitor would make any real difference, but it's surprisingly immersive.  And the extra screen real estate has been nice for non-gaming use.         

sandman2575

I envy you guys who can dabble in curved monitors at high resolutions, 4K and the like. I bought a 1440p Dell monitor a couple of years ago, and it has been collecting dust in my study closet ever since. Just made text way too small for my lousy eyes.

I've stuck to 1920x1080. G-sync at 144Hz, but 1080p nonetheless.  Guess the benefit is, my aging GTX 780ti can still handle anything I throw at it at that resolution.

Bardolph

Quote from: Queeg on March 03, 2018, 06:44:55 PM
Interesting solution for the bezels on a three-monitor setup:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/8/16860118/asus-rog-bezel-free-kit-gaming-pc-monitor-light-refraction-ces-2018

Wow, that's pretty cool, Queeg. Had heard of something like that but hadn't seen it before.
I've gotten used to mine at this point. I have the two side monitors slightly behind the center monitor so really only one bezel width is showing at either side.