Main Menu

HPS Simulations

Started by Rayfer, February 24, 2018, 04:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Is HPS Simulations still in business? Their website has been down, under repairs, for quite a while now.

Staggerwing

Maybe they are waiting for a big sale at Pets 'r Us to get new hamsters for the wheels in the server?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RyanE

Did they ever finish that "big" update for the game Tigers Unleashed or POA2?  They kept claiming it was right around the corner.  Based on what was happening with that one, I assumed they weren't long for the world.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

Yeesh.

So strange to see them in this state.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jarhead0331

I'm sure they have a fee or royalty arrangement, but JTS starting his own website couldn't have been a positive development for the future growth of HPS.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2018, 09:43:12 AM
I'm sure they have a fee or royalty arrangement, but JTS starting his own website couldn't have been a positive development for the future growth of HPS.

I know at one time, Scott had a couple DoD contracts.  That is where POA2, the engine that delivered Tigers Unleashed, came from.  Those seemed to sustain, and at the same time distract, HPS.  I suspect that is why JT went off on his own.  Plus, the way HPS ran its customer service was very quirky.

The short of it is that HPS never moved into the 21st century and seemed to lose focus on what it was.

Rayfer

Quote from: RyanE on February 25, 2018, 09:57:21 AM

I know at one time, Scott had a couple DoD contracts.  That is where POA2, the engine that delivered Tigers Unleashed, came from.  Those seemed to sustain, and at the same time distract, HPS.  I suspect that is why JT went off on his own.  Plus, the way HPS ran its customer service was very quirky.

The short of it is that HPS never moved into the 21st century and seemed to lose focus on what it was.

As crazy as it sounds, I recently thought HPS should just put their entire catalogue onto Steam for $9.99 each and see what happens.

mirth

Quote from: Rayfer on February 25, 2018, 12:25:23 PM
Quote from: RyanE on February 25, 2018, 09:57:21 AM

As crazy as it sounds, I recently thought HPS should just put their entire catalogue onto Steam for $9.99 each and see what happens.

They'd make a bunch of sales to me is what would happen.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Cyrano

Without the patching from JTS, what do they have that you'd really want?

To JH's point, when Dr. T. headed out the door he didn't leave much behind.

And the sales wouldn't do me a lick of good since I've got all the damn things :).

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

Quote from: Cyrano on February 25, 2018, 01:11:55 PM
And the sales wouldn't do me a lick of good since I've got all the damn things :).

my hero :P

Toonces

I heard they took down the website so they could spend time creating a new UI for their games to replace the one they use from the 19th century.

HPS is the only company to make Graviteam's UI look good.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

Quote from: Cyrano on February 25, 2018, 01:11:55 PM
Without the patching from JTS, what do they have that you'd really want?

To JH's point, when Dr. T. headed out the door he didn't leave much behind.

When I posted my comment I was assuming (but should have posted) they would put them on Steam fully patched up (at least as far as HPS had patched them).

RyanE

Noticed the site is still down.  It sure looks ominous.

demjansk1942

Quote from: Toonces on February 25, 2018, 02:14:08 PM
I heard they took down the website so they could spend time creating a new UI for their games to replace the one they use from the 19th century.

HPS is the only company to make Graviteam's UI look good.

Good one to once, yes, I agree