Main Menu

Berlin Wall

Started by airboy, February 05, 2018, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

If I recall correctly, when the North first invaded South Korea, didn't MacArthur request dropping atom bombs on the Nork spearheads?
Seem to recall a suggestion that a devastated band of land would be the new border.

Considering how drawn down the army was after World War II, it got some serious consideration.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on February 05, 2018, 09:50:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Air Force one is ready to roll at a moment's notice and I'm pretty sure it could serve as KneeCap, but it's not like the bad old days. But wtf do I know?

Per the wiki page for the E-4, it still shadows the president when he travels.  Sounds more like a backup aircraft than anything else.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Greybriar

Quote from: airboy on February 05, 2018, 11:01:49 AM
Berlin Wall has been destroyed longer than it was in place this month. 

Celebrating the demise of Communism is a good thing.  Like counting your blessings.

Current Russian autocrats kill, jail, starve, and send to mental institutions far fewer people than the commies did.

I have fond memories of when the Berlin wall came down and the U.S.S.R. ceased to exist.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

This is a sappy song to most people, but to me, it coming out at the time that all this change and upheaval was happening, it was rather poignant and yet inspiring. :)

Gusington

^I was JUST going to post that and have a sing along. You beat me by 3 seconds.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2018, 12:20:08 PM
^I was JUST going to post that and have a sing along. You beat me by 3 seconds.

LOL

I admit it gave me chills up my spine. I haven't watched the video in a long time.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

That song belongs on the remove from the universe list.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 07, 2018, 02:23:50 PM
That song belongs on the remove from the universe list.

You realize Brant didn't post it, right? :P

Con

I had graduated from a military school in Scotland the year prior to the wall coming down and gotten a bursary if I remained active reserves so it paid for my university but I had the pleasure of having to give up a couple of weeks in the summer to get rained on while I dug foxholes around some godforsaken airfield in the UK or Germany.

Since I was fluent in German (have a German mother and a US dad) I would work in Germany during the remainder of the Summer at a giant German chemical plant.  They flew all the work interns out to Berlin for a big shindig.  I wasnt thinking and had my military ID on me.  Part of the festivities (along with going to a medieval dinner in Scholss Spandau - not the prison) was to go do a tour of East Berlin.  So I went through Checkpoint Charlie with bunch of Western University students.  The guards boarded the bus and checked IDs so my active Army ID got them really excited.  I got hauled off the bus and was standing in no mans land getting harangued by irate and armed East German border guards.  I remember thinking that this was a really dicey situation and my best bet was to play it dumb so I didn't speak back in German and just played like a simpleton.  They eventually let me back on but I recall that it was pretty tense with these guys and no real certainty on my standings due to all the inconsistencies in my story (US citizen, reserve British military, UK student, German Chemical company).
The tour director was white as a sheet and kept saying to me in German that she thought I was going to get shot or hauled away.  Interesting times

Con

Gusington

^That...is an awesome story!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Con, your tour director sounds like a winner!  :D

Con

You know the funny thing is now years later I work for a large German company and I have some interaction with interns and marcom who do these events. I realize that we give these young marcom people no real training in dealing with a crisis and while I was barely 18 she was probably only early 20s.  So I actually feel more sympathetic for her that I dropped her in such a crappy situation. I don't blame her for not getting off the bus and helping.  She probably would have made it worse in reality.

Airborne Rifles

Ha, good point. I just have a picture in my mind of her standing next to you whispering in a pnaic, "you're going to die, they're probably going to shoot you and you're going to die," with you thinking something along the lines of "not helpful, tour director..."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on February 08, 2018, 09:14:20 AM
Ha, good point. I just have a picture in my mind of her standing next to you whispering in a pnaic, "you're going to die, they're probably going to shoot you and you're going to die," with you thinking something along the lines of "not helpful, tour director..."

"NO SPEAKEE ZE GERMAIN, remember? ...but as long as I'm gonna be shot, are you seeing anybody right now?   O:-) "
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!