Main Menu

Berlin Wall

Started by airboy, February 05, 2018, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Berlin Wall has been destroyed longer than it was in place this month. 

Celebrating the demise of Communism is a good thing.  Like counting your blessings.

Current Russian autocrats kill, jail, starve, and send to mental institutions far fewer people than the commies did.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on February 05, 2018, 11:04:04 AM
Brant got to it first :P

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=21555.0

in fairness, my subject line was a little vague.

Airboy is right, we should be celebrating the end of communism
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

As a youngster I never thought I would live long enough to see the end of the "Cold War". The Cuban Missile Crisis happened when I was about 6 and scared the crap out of me. When Ronnie Reagan began his anti-communist campaigning people thought there would be a Nuke War in about a year but instead they ended-up in Reagan's 'Ash Can of History'. Without nuclear destruction. Reason to celebrate indeed. Vodkas all around!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 05, 2018, 11:32:05 AM
we should be celebrating the end of communism

In Eastern Europe. It's still around elsewhere ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Airborne Rifles

I grew up in West Germany as a missionary kid. My parents traveled secretly behind the Iron Curtain for more than a decade to share the gospel with the people of Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, East Germany, Bulgaria, Romania, and the USSR. Being US citizens, the risk to them was very small. But the people they ministered to and worshiped with needed to make long treks into the mountains or meet in darkened homes in the early hours of the morning to avoid detection, arrest, and imprisonment by the secret police, simply for practicing their faith. State atheism is a jealous god.   

When the wall came down, my dad drove up to Berlin with a sledge hammer and brought back a big chunk of it. I still have a small piece.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on February 05, 2018, 01:16:07 PM
I grew up in West Germany as a missionary kid. My parents traveled secretly behind the Iron Curtain for more than a decade to share the gospel with the people of Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, East Germany, Bulgaria, Romania, and the USSR. Being US citizens, the risk to them was very small. But the people they ministered to and worshiped with needed to make long treks into the mountains or meet in darkened homes in the early hours of the morning to avoid detection, arrest, and imprisonment by the secret police, simply for practicing their faith. State atheism is a jealous god.   

When the wall came down, my dad drove up to Berlin with a sledge hammer and brought back a big chunk of it. I still have a small piece.

Awesome  O0

BanzaiCat

I remember being scared to death of nuclear war. Of course it didn't help that I devoured books like War Day and watched movies about it (Testament is particularly depressing as hell).

Most of my peers feared it, too. In JROTC they made us do a LOT of presentations. The ones I did on the North African campaign and Barbarossa bored the crap out of them (LOL) so I did one on nuclear war and holy hell were they engaged in it, asking tons of questions. It helped that I had found a copy of a supposed targeting map of San Antonio by the Commies. At the time good ol' SA had five military bases that were all highly important in various ways, so yeah, they would have wiped that city off the earth had that come (thank goodness it did not).

airboy

Thanks for sharing!

Gusington

Great family story, AR.

I am old enough to remember nuclear drills in school and fallout shelters...both of which appear to be making a comeback, but named differently :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gus's fallout shelter is named 'Uncle Paul.' ;D

Gusington

My one uncle, who is actually an inch or so shorter than me, is built like a brick shithouse and weighs about 220. He spends about 2 hours in the gym almost every day and is a certified genius. Over the course of his working life he was an 'urban planner' and 'built computers for the government' starting with punchcard tech in the early 1970s. The guy can take an entire car apart and put it back together again, he taught himself to play and build guitars, and he brews his own beer. If anyone can stop a new cold war it's my uncle :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

That's pretty awesome.

My dad has a chunk of it at his house.

I don't have a piece of it myself, but I pissed on it at least twice in the 80s.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

And while my dad never would confirm it to me, I always figured if the balloon had gone up in the 80s, I wasn't likely to evacuate with my mom & brother.  I was a pretty independent teenager, but more importantly, spoke fluent German and could pass as a native to a non-native, I was pretty damned good at AFVID and unit symbology, knew my way around the country and a mapbook, and was just generally too useful to be sent home.