32 Years Ago Today

Started by bayonetbrant, January 28, 2018, 10:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I think the astronaut jokes started the next week or so at school, making the rounds. They were pretty bad to hear at the time, but humor is a coping mechanism of sorts.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: besilarius on January 28, 2018, 08:10:05 PM
The Alzheimer's is creeping along, but have a very vivid memory of his saying that.
Believe he got a lot of heat next day over the comment.

I can't find anything that corroborates Carson saying that. In fact, it looks like Joan Rivers was guest hosting The Tonight Show the night of the Challenger disaster (and I can't find anything to suggest she said it either)

http://www.stand-upcomedyworkshop.com/audition/joanRivers.html

January 28, 1986 the space shuttle Challenger blew up moments after its launch.
The nation mourned the untimely death of the astronauts.

But that night, Joan Rivers was guest-hosting "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson"
and David Letterman hosted his own show "Late Night."
Rivers wisely began the show by skipping the opening monologue, and replacing it with a sincere eulogy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Tonight_Show_Starring_Johnny_Carson_episodes_(1986)#January
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Joan Rivers' remarks start around 32:05

besilarius

Maybe he made the comment after he returned.
I'd swear it was in his opening monologue.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

It seems unlikely Johnny Carson would be so crass. And there's no footage of it that I could find. The closest thing was the Joan Rivers footage I posted above. She was guest hosting from Jan 27-31, 1986. I can't imagine Johnny coming back on Feb 1 and opening with a Challenger joke.

The "Needs Another Seven Astronauts" joke did make the rounds back then, as did a number of other sick jokes about the Challenger disaster.