Main Menu

Dogs

Started by airboy, January 01, 2018, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Quote from: Gusington on January 15, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
I've only put down one dog but it was really, really painful.
Same. I think about my big guy at least once a day. But for us getting another dog (same breed but female) has been very cathartic and Siggi has become an integral part of our pack. So much so that I find myself already dreading the years of her eventual decline. Big dogs big hearts but short lives is so true. I read that we see our own mortality and the best of ourselves in our old dogs which is why it resonates so much with us when they age past their prime.

Greybriar

We've decided we aren't going to get another dog after Ginger is gone. We are getting too old. In the first place we would have to drive to another town to get it groomed. In the second place we are both past 70 now and if the dog were to outlive us, we wouldn't be around to be sure it was treated well. At least that's how it looks to us now. We would miss having a dog around. I remember how quiet it was when our last dog died--we couldn't stand it. So there exists the possibility that we may change our minds and get another dog when the time comes. :-\
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Sir Slash

I miss my pugs every day. I wouldn't let the vet bury them. Instead I brought all of them home and put them together in a little Pug Cemetery in the side yard with a little, "Pug On Guard" sign over them. It's been over 4 years since the last one left me.  :'(  R.I.P. Little Ones.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FlickJax

Quote from: Greybriar on January 15, 2018, 11:22:56 PM
We've decided we aren't going to get another dog after Ginger is gone. We are getting too old. In the first place we would have to drive to another town to get it groomed. In the second place we are both past 70 now and if the dog were to outlive us, we wouldn't be around to be sure it was treated well. At least that's how it looks to us now. We would miss having a dog around. I remember how quiet it was when our last dog died--we couldn't stand it. So there exists the possibility that we may change our minds and get another dog when the time comes. :-\

Their are older dogs in the pounds too mate, perhaps that would be an option for you?

Greybriar

Quote from: FlickJax on January 16, 2018, 06:04:21 AM
Their are older dogs in the pounds too mate, perhaps that would be an option for you?

I will mention it to my better half, but I don't think we could go through watching another dog aging and then dying. We are having a hard time of it right now with our 17-year-old Shih Tzu. We never had any children and our dogs have possibly meant as much to us as children do to their parents. But I appreciate your suggestion. Under other circumstances it would have been a great idea.

Edit: Adopting an older dog would still require trips to another town to get it groomed and this is something we just don't wish to do anymore. Although we are still competent drivers, age has taken its toll and we don't like driving in inclement weather or the heavier traffic of a town of more than 35,000 when we are accustomed to driving in a town of less than 2,000.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Hofstadter

In part of a rescue for Bulldogs, so I got like...13in my house, I take care of the oldest ones
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

FlickJax

Quote from: Hofstadter on January 16, 2018, 08:35:31 AM
In part of a rescue for Bulldogs, so I got like...13in my house, I take care of the oldest ones

Nice sir, hats off to you.....

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Hofstadter on January 16, 2018, 08:35:31 AM

Wowzers!

BanzaiCat

My hat is also off to anyone that harbors rescue dogs. That's where Roscoe came from. They had about 10 of them in their house at any one time. I can't imagine it's not difficult to let one go to an adopting family.

bayonetbrant

We've had some foster rescue danes off and on over the past few years.  We've had a total of 4 come thru here, not counting the occasional overnight stay for one of them in transit from place to place.

Tougher to do these days b/c Dexter is getting a little too ornery and overprotective of "his" turf.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Dammit Carl!

I'm scared to foster any more dogs; so far we've had five come through the door and have only seen one go on.

-sucker for pretty doggy faces, I am  ;D

jamus34

Quote from: Greybriar on January 16, 2018, 06:39:53 AM

I will mention it to my better half, but I don't think we could go through watching another dog aging and then dying. We are having a hard time of it right now with our 17-year-old Shih Tzu. We never had any children and our dogs have possibly meant as much to us as children do to their parents. But I appreciate your suggestion. Under other circumstances it would have been a great idea.

Edit: Adopting an older dog would still require trips to another town to get it groomed and this is something we just don't wish to do anymore. Although we are still competent drivers, age has taken its toll and we don't like driving in inclement weather or the heavier traffic of a town of more than 35,000 when we are accustomed to driving in a town of less than 2,000.

I'd advise to never come to New Jersey in that case as some of our larger townships regularly have 100k+ people.
Insert witty comment here.

Greybriar

Quote from: jamus34 on January 17, 2018, 10:10:26 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 16, 2018, 06:39:53 AM

I'd advise to never come to New Jersey in that case as some of our larger townships regularly have 100k+ people.

The largest municipality near me has a population of about 500,000 and its city limits are about twenty-five miles from me. I have to drive there occasionally simply because there are some goods and services unavailable anywhere else in my area. But I don't like it!

The worst city I ever drove in was Boston, over 30 years ago. Traffic was horrible then and I wouldn't even attempt it now. Even 30 years ago I did not drive through New York City--I saw the Statue of Liberty from the other side of the harbor.

But my hat's off to those in this thread who have provided foster homes for dogs. I have always liked dogs. During one phase of my life I was the kennel master for a large metropolitan police department.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Greybriar on January 18, 2018, 04:48:28 AM
During one phase of my life I was the kennel master for a large metropolitan police department.

Wow, Greybriar. That sounds like it was a great job. I had a German Shepherd growing up and he was one of the best dogs I ever remember having. Were they all that breed?

Greybriar

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 18, 2018, 06:50:26 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on January 18, 2018, 04:48:28 AM
During one phase of my life I was the kennel master for a large metropolitan police department.

Wow, Greybriar. That sounds like it was a great job. I had a German Shepherd growing up and he was one of the best dogs I ever remember having. Were they all that breed?

At that time the only breed used in my unit were German Shepherds. If anyone wants a good full grown German Shepherd, they might check with their law enforcement's canine unit. Sometimes dogs would fail the training course and be given away. At least that's what used to happen 40 years ago. Things have changed so much in this country since then that current policy may not permit dogs to be given away.