Looking for a Crusader or Byzantine themed game

Started by Cheimison, December 17, 2017, 10:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheimison

A girl friend of mine is a TradCat and has been expressing interest in playing a tabletop game that's Crusader or Byzantine themed. I sounded her out a bit on it and she doesn't seem to care whether it's a strategy type of game or tactical.
I've played RuneQuest 6e with her so I don't think that rule complexity is going to be an issue, so I'm just wondering if you folks have any recommendations based on this extremely vague set of guidelines? Of course I know there are TONS of Crusades-themed games, but that's exactly why I am asking, I have no idea where to start with these.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on December 17, 2017, 11:42:43 AM
Kingdom of Heaven

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25900/kingdom-heaven-crusader-states-1097-1291

I picked this up a couple years ago when I specifically went looking for a crusader wargame.  Kingdom of Heaven seemed to garner the most recommendations from the grogs at the time.   

Looks interesting, but still haven't read all the rules.  They don't look like the heaviest, but they're not real light either. 

The cavalry shadowing rules look pretty interesting, and the beautiful event cards have some potential to be. 

Generally pretty good looking components.  My only complaint is the usual one for MMP games: those small ass boxes that won't fit a counter tray along with the other stuff while being able to fully close the lid.  :tickedoff: 

(bit OT) I also liked A Most Dangerous Time from them, covering part of the Sengoku Jidai.  Is fairly rules light as far as wargames go.  Then again, for rules-light Sengoku stuff, GMT's card-driven block game Sekigahara is amazing fun and would be my first go-to in that realm (even a 10-year old kid learned it pretty quickly but there was still a lot of strategizing to be had).

bayonetbrant

Crusader Rex from Columbia is an old standby, too.  Some folks aren't fans of the Columbia block mechanics, but if you're OK with them, it's a good game.  The Assassins are a goofy bit of bolted-on chrome that might be a bit much, but honestly, they're easily ignored.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on December 18, 2017, 08:41:13 AM
^ I thought that was out of print.

They are selling it on their site. Make me a ridiculous offer and I could be convinced to part with mine
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 18, 2017, 08:53:02 AM

They are selling it on their site. Make me a ridiculous offer and I could be convinced to part with mine

$0.01 + s/h.  :)

James Sterrett

Quote from: Bison on December 18, 2017, 05:46:33 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 18, 2017, 08:53:02 AM

$0.01 + s/h.  :)

You really gave him the option to choose the shipper on that?   You trusting soul.  :o

Hand couriered by Dinosaur Enterprises, that will be $37 million USD in s&h.....   :D

Bison

Ha!  I should have said and I'll let you pay the s/h costs.