Right set of NATO symbols?

Started by CaptainKoloth, December 15, 2017, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Carl Sagan would have said, "Billions and billions of properly trimmed counters..."
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on December 16, 2017, 12:00:34 PM
Carl Sagan would have said, "Billions and billions of properly trimmed counters..."

:bd:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 15, 2017, 10:20:27 PM
there's an official set of NATO military symbology that's required for use in professional contexts, like battlefield events tracking apps and professional sims used by the military

PDF here:  http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/doctrine/other/ms_2525d.pdf
More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Joint_Military_Symbology

However, game designers are free to modify things however they want, and mix-and-match to their heart's content however they choose.

An example is wheeled vehicles, who's NATO-std icon is nothing like what most commercial designers use.

So there's a universal standard among those that can actually enforce one - the military.  But there isn't in the anarchy that is game design,

I believe we've got something like 450+ alternative NATO symbols in the Campaign Series: Middle East game. It's platoon scale, it covers 1948-1985, and you'd like to be sure it's a heavy tank unit and not a light tank you're sending into harm's way right.

Having said that, I wouldn't bet the house they are all military proof, it is just common layers on top of each other. Amphibious Armored Tracked Medium Infantry Fighting Vehicle, or the same but with Anti-tank Missiles to top it off? There's a not so subtle difference in game play with those two :nerd:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on December 16, 2017, 04:36:29 PM

something like 450+ alternative NATO symbols

I checked, it's 453 at the moment, with Priest just added to the lot. Yes, that's right, CS Vietnam OoB would include French Catholic Militia, and instead of a Commander symbol Mike Amos put a Priest there instead, because, well, would be nice to have the tally go to 500.

But we won't get that far, I don't think so, pushing it already  :(
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Ubercat

Quote from: Bison on December 15, 2017, 11:56:13 PM
True.  However, that doesn't mean that historical symbols are used.  How many games use the actual German symbols to indicate the type of unit?  I cannot think of one.  I'm sure that there is one, but I cannot think of any.  So what do designers do?  They use NATO symbols because they are a common military language now.  The real heretics use silhouettes to identify the type of unit.  :)

The Grand Tactical Series by MMP does. Devil's Cauldron, Where Eagles Dare, etc. The Germans use German symbols and the American and Brit forces use their own appropriate ones. A little confusing at first but pretty cool.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

jomni

Close Combat uses German symbols for Germans.

Nato symbols for Allies.

Bison

Very cool.  I figured there were many games that used non-NATO counters. 

Bison

Quote from: Ubercat on December 16, 2017, 04:53:42 PM
The Grand Tactical Series by MMP does. Devil's Cauldron, Where Eagles Dare, etc. The Germans use German symbols and the American and Brit forces use their own appropriate ones. A little confusing at first but pretty cool.

I'd love to give these games a whirl but I doubt I'll ever have the chance to do so.  I most certainly do not have the table or floor space to layout all of the maps.

Ubercat

That's what Vassal and Skype are for. I have Where Eagles Dare and I'm on the P500 list for Devils Cauldron. At WBC '11, a few guys had both linked games set up on a custom made, irregularly shaped table. The combined maps had to be at least roughly 15' long by 5-6' wide, with a bend in the middle.

I think it was Curtis Baer's gaming group. They have something big going on every year. I was hoping they'd be playing Last Blitzkrieg this year but they were on a WW1 kick.  :'(
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell