Combat Mission 20th Anniversary trailer

Started by Michael Dorosh, November 23, 2017, 11:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I played that demo so long ago and immediately fell in love with the game.  :smitten:   And it fell in love with kicking my ass on a regular basis. Twenty years of my being a battered spouse.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Yskonyn

I found my CMBB and CMAK disks, strategy guide, manual and companion book yesterday when sifting through my items at the attic.
There is snow outside right now and I am pretty sure there was snow when I first played CM ever. Nostalgia hit me with a sledgehammer there. All those mods I found a few days later, oh my!
The game could be transformed in a complete winter themed version. Awesome!
Looking at CMRT now its awesome to see where the games have come!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cyrano

I was always very proud that my forum number was <200.

No, that demo shattered my head.  Times and technology change so much, but I find it hard to imagine any game having an effect on me like CM:BO did.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Moreb

I was there early. I remember that AAR and being completely blown away. 3-D Half tracks traveling down that snow covered road taking evasive action. No other game captivated me like it. So incredibly groundbreaking. I must have played the Beta Demo 300 times before the release.

Sadly though, my enthusiasm has waned and CM no longer is anything that excites me, whatever iteration. These days I prefer Graviteam Tactics. It's realism, beauty, and immersion in this genre is second to none these days imo. When I think of CM, I remember it as a girl I once was crazy about that now does nothing for me. I have grown and she has aged not so good. Memories are all that is left. Good memories but, memories just the same.
When dongles fly? - mirth

demjansk1942

I loved Cmbb, however, all the updates for the other games has turned me off.  I'll stay with Steam and Matrix games.

Sir Slash

I thought CMBB was the pick of that litter too. My all time favorite late East Front game with so many great battles included. A superb effort.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Say what you will about Battlefront and the current state of things, CMBB is one of the greatest computer wargames of all time.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Damn straight. And the Russian tanks had actual red stars on them.  :o

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 18, 2017, 11:50:31 PM
Damn straight. And the Russian tanks had actual red stars on them.  :o

Back when the women were strong, the men were good-looking and all the children above average.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

Loved the first two.  I got the demo from the PC Gamer disk and played it 300 times.  And then my interest waned.  I hardly played the last one I bought. 

I moved on but I still have fond memories.

The original with the scenarios, especially meeting engagements was wonderful.

airboy

And Cracker Jack is evil.  Nothing is harder to extract from your back teeth.  That stuff is a combo of superglue and cement between your teeth.

Sir Slash

Are you sure you're not eating the prize instead of the Jacks?

Moreb

Quote from: mirth on December 18, 2017, 11:39:21 PM
Say what you will about Battlefront and the current state of things, CMBB is one of the greatest computer wargames of all time.

Absolutely. Those guys redefined the genre. I have no animosity towards Battlefront unlike others here. I just never got into the CM2 engine and today I'm just not sure I like to micromanage as much as I used to. GT:MF, while a completely different beast with its own shortcomings, has done some unique and groundbreaking things themselves.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Elvis

Quote from: Cyrano on December 16, 2017, 09:54:42 PM
I was always very proud that my forum number was <200.

No, that demo shattered my head.  Times and technology change so much, but I find it hard to imagine any game having an effect on me like CM:BO did.

I think I was #64 or somefink like that.  It was what I'd always dreamed of....ASL without needing to consult the rule book.......

Sir Slash

Me too. And I'll never forget nearly peeing my pants laughing the first time I heard the Americans yell, "Let's get the hell outta here" as a Tiger tank approaches.  :DD