Lock n Load's Battles on Demand series

Started by Crossroads, November 12, 2017, 11:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Here's a close up with a few chits just thrown in there for the photo op.

I attached a larger picture to this post for added detail. See how much better the step-loss sides look...

I do wonder if something could be done about the chit line prints with black ink though. You know LnL, we wargamers do come with a high likelihood of some sort of OCD in place  :nerd:

So either,

- use a color more similar to chit background color, or
- have the rectangular a tad larger, so it would be easier to make the cut inside them, without a fear of cutting out too much into the chits themselves.

I know, nitpicking. But I am a bit anal with my chits...  :uglystupid2:

Otherwise, I give this DIY concept a full  :bd:

Edit: As another comment, Oregon Lam clippers are 2mm, so a bit small for chits this side. 2.5mm are likely a better all around tool, but hey, I didn't want to overdo the corners either, so ended up with these. Less is more you know.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

All's well that ends well though. Was a fun little thing for a little DIY project, and should ease the pain waiting for the first World at War '85 titles shipping out in some future timeframe.

Cheers!

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

They look superb. Well done Crossroads  O0
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 04, 2017, 09:38:06 AM
They look superb. Well done Crossroads  O0

Thanks. I may need to further trim some of the worst offenders with bits of that black rectangular still present  :nerd: But a nice concept for having small games out that otherwise would not be made, likely. Might try one of the other games from the series next.

First, need to play a few games with this one though!

Bison

Now that's some art and craft!  Great work.

Thrawn

Hi Guys,

What a great overview, I am going to have our graphics team review this and see how we can improve our counter layout.

David

Staggerwing

Quote from: Thrawn on December 04, 2017, 10:07:09 PM
Hi Guys,

What a great overview, I am going to have our graphics team review this and see how we can improve our counter layout.

David

Definitely leave the buffer space between counter!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Crossroads

Quote from: Thrawn on December 04, 2017, 10:07:09 PM
Hi Guys,

David

Thanks David. Having slept on this, I think it is simple, really:

The black squares are currently a tad too small, they practically touch the chit content, like the unit names, soft attack values, or the text in Disrupted chit for instance. It is very difficult to make a cut leaving the content in but the black border out. See here:

If you'd just make those squares say 1-2mm wider each side, they could then be safely cut from inside the printed border, on all sides.

And yes, please leave the buffer space between rows and columns as it is, as Staggerwing wrote too.

Here's a picture with those borders just visible, look at the orange chits, you can just see it.

To cut inside the border, I'd need the extra 1mm to have the border more outside the ruler edge, to be able to cut it out from the chit:

Otherwise, these chits come out just perfect.

This is a picture from the reverse step-loss side where there was no printed border. I want this for the front side too  :nerd:

This was the only small nitpick I had, otherwise: great job guys. Thanks for making this gem of a little game!  :)

Thrawn

We are looking to do just that.  I let you all know when we are done.

David

Crossroads