I thought this might be fun...

Started by JudgeDredd, November 07, 2017, 03:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

On my cycle into work every morning, I pass through a field. There's a break in the field and I can see the very clear view of the old water tower in Colchester called Jumbo.

So I decided to take a picture. And then I decided to take a picture each Monday, around the same time (between 07:30 and 07:45) for a month.

These are the pictures.
Monday 16th October @ 07:29

Monday 23rd October @ 07:35

Monday 30th October @ 07:32

Monday 6th November @ 07:42

Can anyone work out what the field is I go through given I have supplied, Colchester and Jumbo as the clues?
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Airborne Rifles

Quick work on Google Earth would indicate Hilly Fields in Colchester, looking West-Southwest, tower at a range of about 785m (I'm a map geek). Fun idea!

Jarhead0331

England is exactly how I picture it in my dreams.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 07, 2017, 04:24:50 PM

+1. I was privileged to visit Edinburgh, Scotland once. I would go back in a New York minute. I mean, where else are you going to find the Firth of Forth?  :bd:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on November 07, 2017, 04:22:24 PM
Quick work on Google Earth would indicate Hilly Fields in Colchester, looking West-Southwest, tower at a range of about 785m (I'm a map geek). Fun idea!
O0
Alba gu' brath

MetalDog

Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 07, 2017, 04:38:40 PM

+1. I was privileged to visit Edinburgh, Scotland once. I would go back in a New York minute. I mean, where else are you going to find the Firth of Forth?  :bd:

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

The only two places I have been overseas are England and Scotland. Both were better than my dreams. In England I had something close to a spiritual experience. I felt like I had come home...that's the only way I can explain it.

Didn't feel that way in Scotland, it felt much more foreign to me. But I still loved it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on November 07, 2017, 09:52:18 PM
The only two places I have been overseas are England and Scotland. Both were better than my dreams. In England I had something close to a spiritual experience. I felt like I had come home...that's the only way I can explain it.

Didn't feel that way in Scotland, it felt much more foreign to me. But I still loved it.
I've lived in England for 34 of my 50 years and I love where I live. Colchester is a beautiful town and in fact England's oldest recorded town and the provincial capital under the rule of the Romans. Boudica burned to the ground the Temple to the Divine Claudius during her rebellion against the Romans. All round the inner section of the town, you can see huge parts of the Roman walls.

Living somewhere with such deep history is pretty neat. Unfortunately alot of people don't know about what's on their doorstep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchester

But I always said - even when I was a kid going home from the army - when I cross that border, I can tell I'm home.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: DoctorQuest on November 07, 2017, 04:38:40 PM

You're damn right, DQ. I was very lucky to visit Glasgow (Dumbarton) twice earlier this year for work. I'd move and work there in a heartbeat! I love the weather, even overcast and rainy; the people are very friendly and helpful, especially if they think you're a tourist (interestingly enough, and at least in my experience). The trains are brilliant, there's so much to do in walking/train distance.

Nice pics, JD.  O0

undercovergeek

You don't have fields over there?